Thursday, March 17, 2011

Project Restyle: Stick Art

For my third Project Restyle trick, today I bring you stick art!

You see, when I first moved back to Tulsa after college some 9 years ago, I didn't have much money but always had the overwhelming urge to make my apartment MINE through decorating.  One day while strolling through the hip little part of town I resided in, I started picking up sticks.  And more sticks.  And bigger sticks.  Until I had a gigantic stick collection in my apartment.  I would position them atop doorways, above my bed, in the kitchen; I had found the cheapest decorating supplies possible!  Then one day, I thought I would tie those puppies together and make actual wall art!  And I did!  And people LOVED them which shocked me!  I mean, they were just sticks tied together!  So I actually ended up making a few of these for my friends during that time and recently, for whatever reason, my stick art days have been heavy in my mind so I thought I'd Project Restyle some for you :)

Here's a shot of the second of three apartments that this particular piece lived in.  Yes, I moved my stick art with me and yes, they pretty much survived each move ;)  
Fast forward to this past Tuesday.  I found some smaller sized sticks in the yard, 

pulled out my embroidery thread from childhood (you can even see where my mom had written my name on the box!), 
began to lay out sticks in different ways,
and tied together joints in differing shades of green to celebrate my favorite holiday, St. Patrick's Day!  There's no rhyme or reason to the wrapping process, just make sure it's secure!  In the past, I had wrapped with hemp so the joints wouldn't be noticeable.  This time, I thought it would be fun to use color for spring!

Side note:  Any holiday which requires wearing green and drinking beer is spectacular in my opinion :)
If you were feeling adventurous, you could try and make letter stick art and write your name across the wall!
I also love how incredibly lightweight these are meaning you can hang them practically anywhere!  My cats are huge fans of trying to chew on the ends of them.  I'm a fan of the natural shapes that the sticks bring.
I've seen posts here and there lately about stick wrapping which I find to be mighty pretty.  After I finished building my frame, I thought I would add one wrapped stick in the middle.
Voila!  Free, one-of-a-kind, personalized wall art!

3 comments:

  1. You had me at "free". ;-)

    I love the look of these! I agree, the natural shapes make a home look so interesting. And I definitely approve of the brightly colored thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought this could turn out so well. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, these are so beautiful! They're delicate and rustic and lovely :) especially love seeing the one in the living room! Hurray for cheap and fabulous art!~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...