Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Harvests

The mister and I both come from a long line of backyard gardeners.  I have memories galore of spending time in my Granny and Papa's backyard while working in their garden day after day.  The mister's grandparents had gardens so lush and productive, you still hear stories about them.  We're happy to carry on that gardening tradition in our homestead.  Let me rephrase that, the mister is happy to carry that on :)  

I'd like to admit that I spend hours working in the garden, that I pick weeds and that I water the garden with care but I would be lying.  The mister is the one with the green thumb, the one who puts his all into our beautiful garden, the one who makes it possible for me to brag about our garden :)
My job is an occasional picking, often cleaning and always cooking with the fresh goods!  During the warmer months I rarely shop for produce.  
So far, we've harvested two large batches of various types of lettuce (with more batches to come!), a few helpings worth of new potatoes (also with more underground still), white onions, yellow onions, red onions and lots of beautiful broccoli!
Future harvests will (hopefully) yield yellow squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, cabbage (first head to be used soon!), tomatoes, okra, cucumbers and peppers!  
I LOVE cooking, especially when it involves produce from our very own garden and especially when it means I get to entertain and feed our friends!  Below is my dear friend Dawn who is, among many other things, a very talented photographer and a part of the Prairie Hive team! 
There's nothing better than dinner on the deck with friends, fresh veggies and beautiful weather!

Are you a part of the gardening gang?  What wisdom can you share?

2 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed and inspired by your garden! (And your fancy looks fance-tastic!) Gardening is not my forte and not my passion. But I love the idea of having all that food sitting in my backyard to use! :) Maybe I'll start a small garden and see how it goes... then maybe I'll actually like it!
    Good job!
    Dawn
    And thanks for that yummy dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...