Friday, June 24, 2011

Full Moon Comfort Blanket

I'm sitting here waiting for my ride to the airport trying to find things to keep me distracted so I don't think about flying in a few hours.  I used to be so good at flying and now, I'm just a big pansy.
I've done quite a bit of traveling around the world throughout my young years and when I would find myself getting anxious about being so far away from my family, friends, pets - my comforts - I would always try and find the moon and remind myself that it's the same moon that they would be seeing.  
That thought always made the world seem that much smaller to me, that much more connected.
I think about it now even though I haven't been traveling as broadly as I once have.  I wonder how my students deal with being away from their comforts for so long.  I wonder if the moon comforts them too.
Sometimes when people here talk about how different places are from here and how vastly different the people are all over the world I want to say to them, "But we all see the same moon!  We can't be that different!"
Sometimes I am cheesy, yes, but isn't that appropriate when talking about a ball in the sky made of cheese?

1 comment:

  1. This is a really beautiful post, Briana- both the photos and the words.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...