Monday, June 20, 2011

Garden Party: DIY Garden Flag!

One of my many DIYs for the garden party was to make a new flag!  When we moved in, we had a month long debate as to what that pole in the yard was.  I was adamant that it was a tetherball pole but the mister swore it was a flag pole.  Well he was right and I was wrong.  Big surprise ;)
For the past four years, an OU flag has hung out there.  I'm not a fan of exterior sports paraphernalia but I let the flag in the backyard slide ;)  While we were working on things for the party, we noticed how tattered the ol OU flag was looking and somehow I convinced the mister to let me make a replacement instead of buying a new one!  Yay!
 I dug around my fabric drawer until I came across this vintage material that I LOVE.  It's a slicker fabric, much like a typical flag and I had large amounts of it so it was the winner!  
 This project took maybe one hour and was so satisfying!  I just laid out the fabric over the OU flag and cut a giant rectangle, leaving about 2 inches extra on each side.  Then I folded the hem over twice so you couldn't see frayed edges and sewed.
 I wanted the end that would hanging from the pole to be nicely reinforced so I found some scraps of some other vintage fabric that was a bit thicker but that didn't clash with the flag fabric.  I just folded the end fabric over and sewed down!  
 Finally, I knocked in some grommets to match where the clips would hit and I was done!  By the way, I'm not sure I've ever shared how much I LOVE making grommets!  Large, small, whatever!  I just love putting them in!  I'm weird and I'm ok with that :)
 I could not be more pleased!  Like I said, SUPER easy and fast and worth it!  Now I want to make more for different seasons and one with a beast mascot on it :)
Unrelated to the flag but related to this post is the matter of my dress I was wearing!  For the past few years I've made quick stops at Garden Ridge at the beginning of summer to stock up on their summer dresses.  I know, Garden Ridge?  Dresses?  Seriously!  They are no more then $10 and have ALL sorts of styles, colors and sizes!  In fact, I'm wearing a different one today :)  I encourage all of you frugal and fashionable ladies to check them out!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I LOVE your flag!! We have a majorly faded Key West flag hanging from our deck outside but now I'm inspired to make my own. I've never inserted grommets before though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...