Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One of Those Outfits: Swept Back to High School

Anyone who has known me since high school knows that I had quite the thing for broom skirts.  Meaning they are all I wore for YEARS.  Seriously.  I'm pretty sure I didn't own a pair of jeans through the ages of 15-18.  I've heard in later years, actually, that some people I went to high school with thought I dressed as I did due to religious beliefs.  Nothing could have been further from the truth.  I just liked being comfortable and different from everyone else.  

In college I slowly quit wearing broom skirts so I started to get rid of my massive collection of them (40+!) to make room for new pieces in my wardrobe.  There's only a few special ones that made the cut.  Over the past few years, I've been missing many of those skirts like CRA-ZAY but I'm not sure I'd still wear them like I used to.  

A year or so ago, I picked up a short broomskirt from somewhere random and still wear it all of the time.  I kept it in the back of my mind to start keeping my eye open for old broomskirts to shorten when I found a few gems for pennies!
The first skirt I shortened was a patchwork skirt that I LOVE.  Many of the patches need a bit of mending until I can wear it to teach in so for now, it's an around the house type of garment.  I wore it a few weeks ago to help work on the backyard progress.  
I just took some random self-timed pictures since the mister was a bit busier than I ;)
The second skirt is this black and white polka dotted number.  I am SO pleased with how it turned out but, as an XL skirt, I really need to take it in just a smidge.  I don't think it would have stayed on without that belt!
Now THIS was a fun skirt to teach in!  And spin in ;)
I did shorten the third skirt, too but I think I want to make it even shorter before I wear it!  I'm thinking, with its palm tree motif, that it would make a perfect bathing suit cover-up skirt!  

So for close to $3, I got three new summer skirts that no one else on my block has.  Now that's a fact my high school self would be elated with :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the black and white one with the belt! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...