Monday, July 11, 2011

Roast Those Taters!

This blog is somewhat a hodge podge of sorts filled with outfits, my creations, life posts and a few recipes here and there.  I'm going to attempt to throw a few more recipes occasionally just for you :)  I cook LOTS and I love it!  I was raised to be inventive in the kitchen but I do often consult the internet for recipe ideas where I'll read several and create my own recipe out of many.  I've cooked new potatoes a few times now based on a few recipes I've come across and have yet to be disappointed so I thought I'd share this SUPER SIMPLE dish!  So behold, roasted new potatoes with lots of photos!
You'll need a good helping of new potatoes which we used from the garden - our last batch of them!  Cut off the bad looking parts and wash those puppies off.
We have an abundance of onions from the garden right now so I've been using them in everything.  No exception here.  I've done this without onions which is also just as good.  You could even throw in some peppers for a kick and for some color!
Chop those taters up in bit sized pieces and put them in a bowl.  Do the same with the onion.
While you're in chopping mode, go ahead and chop up some fresh rosemary.  We pulled ours from our little herb garden.  Once chopped, put it in a separate small bowl.
Pour olive oil in your veggie bowl, enough to coat the veggies.  In an effort to get a shot of olive oil pouring, I poured WAY too much into my mixture but we made it work!  I'll remind you that I'm not a measurer but an eyeballer so I apologize for the lack of exact measurements.
Then add sea salt and ground black pepper to the veggie bowl.  The past few times I've made this I always end up adding more salt when I eat it so I will add more salt than I think I need next time :)
Stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Now, go back to your chopped rosemary bowl.  Here's where you add my favorite part:  garlic.  I LOVE garlic.  So much so that I buy the gigantic jars of precut garlic and just use that in all of my recipes.  If I had to chop up fresh garlic for everything I ate it in, I'd spend 10 hours of my day chopping!  Add 2-4 teaspoons depending on your love affair for garlic :)
Mix up well with the rosemary.  I recommend taking a big whiff of the mixture now.  Rosemary + garlic = perfection.
Now here's where you can do things several different ways.  For this recipe, I went ahead and added the garlic/rosemary mixture to the veggies and mixed well.  In prior batches, I have waited to add the mixture until about 15 minutes before the potatoes are done roasting.  I can't tell too much of a difference except that I like being able to put it in the oven and not having to worry about it until it's ready so I suggest you just mix it all in now, as pictured.
Mix well.
Now, pour your mixture into a baking dish.  Since I poured too much olive oil, I ended up using a slotted spoon to pick up the mixture, letting the oil drain before I put it in the dish.  
Use your spoon to evenly distribute the mixture.
Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.  You want them to be nicely tender.  We cooked this batch for about 40 minutes.

OR

If you've opted to save your rosemary/garlic mixture for the end, pull the potato mixture out from the oven after about 30 minutes of cooking and add then, mixing.  Return dish to oven for about 10-15 minutes.
Your house will smell fantastically garlicky :)
For the record, these are SO good reheated!  In fact, I'll be finishing them off for lunch today!
We paired our taters with some grilled (delicious) thick pork chops, cottage cheese (which we eat incessantly like the old folks that we are), a traditional green salad (for me) and leftover orzo salad (for him) which I will be sharing a recipe for in the future!  It was a fantastically delicious meal shared with my favorite person.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. We frequently roast potatoes like this. I'm jealous that you had fresh ones from your garden. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...