Monday, September 5, 2011

Broiled Bananas

I eat bananas A LOT.  Growing up with the name Briana and with 'yellow' hair, I was always called Banana.  I hated it and would get so upset when the kids would taunt me with that name.  Later in life though, I've embraced the Banana side of me in many ways.  

In one way, I introduce myself to my students as Briana Banana.  It helps them remember my name (the teacher with the yellow hair!) and it helps them learn how to say my name which is not Bri-onna but Bri-ana just like banana (in case you've been wondering ;)  

Oh, but back to how much I eat bananas :)  
 I don't know about you but in our house, we usually throw all food rules out the (open!) window on holiday weekends and eat whatever we want to, including homemade banana splits.  Mmmmmmmm.

Here's what we did.

Turn on your broiler.  We have only one setting but if you have high or low, either would work...just watch them!  Slice a banana or two vertically and place in foil 'bowls' and place in a cookie sheet.  Easier to handle on the sheet and the foil bowls help if anything escapes your banana.
 We then buttered our bananas with lots of peanut butter...
 ...and a few squirts of chocolate syrup.  You could add carmel, chocolate chips, maple syrup, whatever!
Try and get those bananas to lay flat so your contents won't all melt into the middle like ours did.  Then put your cookie sheet on the top rack of the oven with the broiler on and let them warm for five minutes or so.  I just stood by and kept watch for things to start to look mushy :)  
 Then, remove the pan and carefully place each banana in a serving dish.  I left mine in the peels and ate out of them but you can remove them from the peels if you'd like.  Then, top those puppies!  We put a few scoops of vanilla bean ice cream and a bit more chocolate sauce but of course you could add nuts, whip cream, cherries, whatever!  Eat them quickly and enjoy that mixture of cold ice cream and warm bananas.  DELICIOUS.
This is far from a guilt-free dish but sometimes you need a little sugary goodness in your life :)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good! I recently tried making "ice cream" with frozen bananas (and peanut butter + chocolate syrup). Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...