Friday, September 23, 2011

The Epic Renegade Trip

Ok, ok.  You've waited patiently long enough.  It looks like it's time to share the epic trip to Chicago for the epic Renegade!

About two weeks before the show, my dear friend Nikki hinted around that I should go along to help her at her Gleeful Peacock booth.  I kept saying that I couldn't pull it off since I had just begun the semester but with her persuasive powers and my growing desire to join her, it was soon discovered that I could make it happen!  I only had to find a sub for one class and take two days off of work!

We loaded up early Friday morning and after a delayed start, began our trek!  We used a handy GPS but I always fight those so I brought along a road map which did help from time to time (and kept my nervous eyes off of the road ;)

For our twenty-hour trip, I'd say we listened to music for maybe one hour and talked, talked, talked the rest of the trip :)  Road trip conversations are the best.
Nikki did the driving (because she's not a ninety-year old grandma trapped in a thirty-something's body) and thank goodness she did!  If I had been driving then we would have stopped for the night about halfway into the trip due to the rain!  (although I did parallel park the car once!)  But I will say that weaving through these storms while the sun was starting to set made for some beautiful scenery.  (and for the record, Nikki is a great driver :)
We made it into town late Friday night and promptly crashed at our hotel.  Saturday began bright and shining early and led us to our first adventure:  finding a parking space for an entire day.  Oh, and finding where Renegade was being held!

(side note:  Chicago is the first place I ever flew to when I was 12 years old...for an antique cigarette lighter convention.  One of these days I'm going to share more about that side of my past :)
So, back to the show :)

Renegade Chicago runs for two days, eight hours each day and hosts 300 handmade vendors from around the country.  I cannot even express the amount of amazing things there were to buy (I shopped my tail off!) or the amount of shoppers that came to buy!  If you were to leave the booth for whatever reason, it would take 30-45 minutes to return due to weaving through the crowds!  Shoppers would wait in lines to get into full booths and I would say that one of the most popular ones was Gleeful Peacock!
We were constantly checking people out, bagging up purchases and restocking!  Creating, setting up and selling your art is no work for the lazy, that's for sure!  
Here's a view from our 'checkout' corner.  Trying to leave the booth was close to impossible most of the time!
I was stoked to find out Felix & Jayne would be set up too!  Formerly from Oklahoma, Christie makes some KILLER bags that I am slightly obsessed with.  I may have bought myself a little handbag this trip ;)
The energy at the show was insane.  In a good way.  Pop up shops lined the sides of the festival street and included vintage clothing, yard sales, outdoor salons and a record shop spinning ALL kinds of music throughout the weekend!  The people watching was superb too :)
Not only did I get to meet some folks that I only know online but I also got to hang out with a wonderfully creative, beautiful and amazing old friend from high school!  TWO days in a row!  She makes me happy :)
We failed miserably on Saturday to get some outfit shots due to the one-track-minds of getting the booth up and running but Sunday morning brought about a more leisurely pace and we were able to stop and document our top-notch fashion sense ;)  

I don't know the details of Nikki's outfit but I DO know that she looked ridiculously cute!
Remember this skirt I fashioned out of a vintage dress?  Well, I rocked it as a dress this time around!  I stuck a pretty brown vintage slip on underneath which would stick out when I would sit down, threw on some black Target sandals, strapped on a black belt and finished it off with one of my vintage coin necklaces! Oh, and my top knot.  Since I have long, straight, flat hair, I've found that if I let it dry for a while in a bun on the top of my head that it'll have a little more umphf throughout the day once I let it down! 
After packing up Sunday night, we went ahead and began our long trek back to Tulsa.  We drove until 1 in the morning, experienced the most hilarious bout of delirious exhaustion and finally slept our hearts out.  

There were SO many wonderful moments (and souvenirs!) that I will look back on fondly from this trip but mainly, I'll remember how exciting, inspiring and rejuvenating this last minute jaunt was and how a great friendship grew even more :)  

1 comment:

  1. You two are so adorable! Looks like a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...