Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Being Me: Childhood Storage Boxes

I didn't come up with any resolutions this year but rather a few goals, some of which apply to this here blog! I've decided that in addition to my regular posts (outfits, shows, fuzzy goodness...) that each month will have some specially themed posts!  

For the month of January, I thought it would be fun to talk about myself!  That doesn't sound self-centered at all ;)  In all seriousness though, I've publicly been Biff for a year now and I think it's about time to share what made/makes me ME.  If there's anything you've been wanting to ask me, now's the perfect time to do so! 

 For part of our staycation, my sister was in town and after ten years of begging my dad, we were finally given clearance to climb up into storage to rifle through some of our boxed up childhood belongings.  It was truly tough and yucky, dirty work but was soooooooo worth it!  I was on the hunt for two things:  my old bead looms and journals from high school.  We weren't expecting to bring down TEN boxes!  I spent a good chunk of the break going through, organizing and purging the contents of the boxes.

If you follow me on Instagram (bifftastica) then you've seen a few of these shots before!  I've been using it like mad lately!
A large portion of the boxes were FULL of Barbie toys.  The majority of them were from my sister's era (she's six years younger than me) but there were a handful of my old school gems that also survived.
I laid everything out, stripped down the mounds of Barbies and got rid of any furniture that was missing any pieces.  I then bagged things up separately to make it easier to sort through and store again.  Yeah, I could have some organizational 'issues'.  
I saved a few of the older gals, my old handmade doll clothes and a few of the older furniture sets.  The rest is up for grabs!  Know anyone in the market for late 80's/early 90's Barbie goods?!  Seriously.  
In addition to the gals in pink, we also found a box FULL of old McDonald's toys.  We were raised with the mentality, 'That could be worth something someday!' so into storage went all of these old toys.  These guys were cleaned up and put back into storage in a more orderly fashion, except for the cars; I kept those for myself.  Yeah, I was one of THOSE girls. Big surprise.  ;)
And then I went down 'the rabbit hole' as the mister likes to call it.  I found my old keepsakes from middle school and high school.  From memories of my first job (gag) to creative memories, I found it all.  Including those journals I was determined to find.
And I found my looms one of which had a work in progress still on it!  I was thrilled!  The turtle rings are just a fraction of my turtle collection.  Believe it or not, I wore ALL of those rings at once in addition to four or five silver turtle necklaces (and I carried a turtle book bag).  AT ONCE.  ALL OF THEM.  I was THAT girl in high school.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I put at least 40 turtle items into my giveaway box.  I had serious issues.  Let's all be thankful that phase passed finally.  I also found two of my old potholder looms and a brass collection I vaguely remember having.  Those have all been cleaned up and are out and about now :)
In sum, I'm a very organized collector/hoarder.  I was raised to do so, but that's another post.  Going through these boxes was emotional, cathartic and awesome all at the same time.  They reminded me of people, feelings, moments in time I didn't know I had forgotten.  They were a past me that led to the present me, all boxed up to discover again.  They were the best Christmas gift I could I have gotten :)

3 comments:

  1. hey, i have a question: what was special about turtles to you? and also, i had all of those fraggle rock cars too

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty sure I have all of those mcdonalds toys in storage somewhere. I remember every one of them... sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. We are so similar, but so crazy different. First off, I think I went to McDonald's about 3 times my entire life before middle school. With 5 kids, eating out didn't happen, so I have no memory of any of those toys. Secondly, that is a LOT of Barbie dolls! I didn't have those either. One sister had a couple but we were more "play in the dirt and climb the trees kids". However, Braum's was my first job too! Started the day I turned 15 1/2, and worked there for 18 months. I was the drive-thru queen, and even helped open the store that is on 28th and Harvard now. I know. Pride.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...