Friday, January 20, 2012

Fuzzy Friday: Vera

 When I first moved back to Tulsa, I lived in a tiny little basement apartment off of Cherry Street all by my lonesome.  I initially loved it because it was tornado safe (I'm a pansy) and cheap.  Shortly after moving in though, our family went through many losses in a very short amount of time and that safe little apartment underground became a very depressing, dark and lonely place to live.  
 Three of the four losses were our family cats that we'd had for nearly twenty years.  They passed within two weeks of each other followed by my Grandpa right before Christmas.  It was devastating.  We were all broken by the events.

In an effort to try and heal myself, I decided to adopt my first cat ever.  My coworker pointed me in the direction of StreetCats (where I have now been volunteering with for a decade) and I made the trek to survey the kitties.  There were several wonderfully beautiful cats but none of them were 'it' for me.  I was about to throw in the towel when I sat my bum down in in the middle of the floor and this two-year old, fluffy, grey thing that I'd barely looked at (mainly because she had made herself inaccessible) jumped down from a high shelf and immediately made herself at home in my lap.  My two criterion for my first 'solo' cat?  That it be a lap cat and to be a social cat.  She chose me.  I took 'Elizabeth' home that night.

 She soon became 'Vera' and my shadow.  She was the best therapy I could have ever hoped for.
Anyone who has ever met her can tell you that she's not your typical cat.  This cat LIVES to be in your arms.  You'd be amazed how much of my day is spent carrying her around while taking care of odds and ends around the house.  She even stands up on her hind legs begging to be picked up and will gladly stay in your arms for hours.  She could very well be the most vocal cat I've ever encountered as well.  
  She had a home before ours but when her previous owners moved, they taped her up inside of a box and left her on their vet's doorstep.  If only they'd known was a gem they'd discarded.  What a gift they'd given me.  What a star she'd become.  
Now technically a senior kitty, she acts more like a kitten then she ever has.  She's recently begun dragging our clean laundry throughout the house in the middle of the night.  This morning it was a towel surely weighing just as much as she.  Annoying?  Yes.  But I will never be upset that our cats are still playful.

Should you ever find yourself at our house, it's likely she'll be the first to greet you at the door.  And she won't leave your side until you've left.  That's what I love about her, she's loyal, loving and trusting.  To no end.

2 comments:

  1. this is so special! She has gorgeous eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's super cute... glad she brings you so much happiness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...