Sunday, February 26, 2012

Three Easy Appetizers

Last month, I hosted our monthly make:Tulsa meeting at our house.  I made a few appetizers that my maker friends seemed to enjoy so I thought I'd share the recipes here for you and them!  I apologize for only sharing the one photo...the second after I snapped this picture, the doorbell rang and half of the crew was standing on the porch!  I never really got a second chance to take more photos!
Caprese Skewers
slightly adapted from a Prairie Hive recipe

You'll need:
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Mozzarella cubed or Mozzarella balls
Fresh Basil Leaves
Balsamic Vinegar

 I'm sure you can easily figure out how to do these yourself based on the picture above but if not, simply stab a tomato, basil leaf or two and mozzarella cube onto a toothpick.  I did this until I ran out of basil.  Then drizzle balsamic vinegar over the lot and dig in!  (I'm pretty sure I ate about half of these at our meeting ;)

*****

Cheesy Zucchini and Onion Flatbread
found in an oooooold Bon Appetit magazine 
I think this would be great as part of a fun dinner!

You'll need:
1 can refrigerated pizza dough
3/4 cup garlic and herb cheese spread, divided (they suggested Aloutte which I FINALLY found in a random spot in my local grocery store)
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, divided (I forgot to pick up fresh so I just used dried and it worked!
1 small red onion (pretty sure I only used about half of mine)
1 medium sized zucchini, yellow or green, sliced

-Preheat oven to 400
-roll dough onto parchment paper (I just used foil) 
-spread half of garlic and herb cheese spread onto HALF of pizza dough, leaving a slight border
-sprinkle with half of the parm and a bit of parsley
-using your foil or parchment, fold the dough over, covering the filled half, don't seal edges
-spread remaining half of spread onto top of dough and then cover with remaining parm
-in rows, arrange the onion, then zucchini, alternating until you run out of room
-brush veggies with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper
-put foil or parchment (with bread still on top) onto a cookie sheet (or put onto a cookie sheet before ;)
-bake for about 24 minutes
-sprinkle with parsley

*****

White Bean Salad in Cucumber Cups
found in an oooooold magazine which I could not find a name for
For the record, I don't like cucumbers nor green olives but this LOOKED so cute that I had to make it!

You'll need:
1 15.5 ounce can Great Northern Beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped pimento stuffed olives
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (again, I used dried)
1 tbsp minced fresh chives
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 large seedless cucumbers

Easy peasy.  Mix everything except the cucumbers together.  You can make the mixture up to two days before you need it!  I did mine the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  Meanwhile, cut the cucumbers into about 1 1/2" slices.  Scoop out the centers and discard.  I didn't have a melon baller so I just carefully used a large spoon.  The key is to not break the bottom!  Spoon bean mixture into cups and serve immediately!  Someone referred to them as Okie sushi which I thought was hilarious :)

*****

There you go, three easy and fast appetizers!  I'd love to hear if you make them and what you thought of them!  Bon Appetite :)

2 comments:

  1. mmm all of this looks amazing but I"m esp inclined to give the first and last a shot since I don't eat gluten (and they look super tasty and easy). I wonder how the last one would be if you just sliced the cumber instead? I'd feel bad about wasting all that cucumber but I guess I could put it in a salad instead. Thanks for the new recipes. That group sounds like tons of fun too- hope it was a blast!
    http://dusanabotswana.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I'm so glad you posted these! I especially loved the cucumber cups and I really want to make those when the occasion arises! (And I think I took a couple of photos as well, but I'll have to retrieve them from hubby's computer when he brings it home from work. When I find them, I'll e-mail them to you.) See you Friday! =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...