Friday, April 6, 2012

Fuzzy Friday: Sammie

For almost ten years, my only feline roommates were Pimmy and Vera.  I grew up with a number of cats, four of special importance and one of which we acquired during her kitten stage.  Being as young as I was, I barely remember those kitten years with her though and ever since then, I had always wanted a kitten.  Two years ago, unbeknownst to me, the mister was planning on surprising me with a kitten for Valentine's Day.  A few weeks before that Valentine's Day, a not-so-kitten-kitten came into our lives.
I've briefly mentioned Hap and Helen before, our unbelievably wonderful neighbors who we adored.  Sadly, Hap and Helen passed away within months of each other leaving behind their two sweet and beautiful kitties.  I committed to their awesome granddaughter, who I now consider a friend, to help place those two fluffies into new homes.  At twelve years old, they were both too old for our shelter so I began spreading the word about their need for a home when I quickly began to fall in love with one of them.
One night while laying in bed, I jokingly mentioned to the mister about taking in one of them; the one I was smitten with.  I was beyond shocked when he quickly replied back that he didn't care.  I left it at that and carefully brought it up again the next day which is when he enlightened me to his plan on surprising me with a kitten.  This twelve year old cat was my new kitten.
She moved in shortly after and acclimated to the rest of the clan with amazing ease.  It was like she was meant to move in next door with us.  

She came to Hap and Helen in the middle of the night when she was around two years old as a mangled stray with her tummy torn apart.  She was taken to the vet where it was declared that she was attacked by another animal, a dog presumably, and had been carrying a litter of kittens at the time.  The kittens didn't make it but Sammie sure did and now surprisingly has no aversion to our big beast nor having her tummy touched. 
She's been a part of our family for two years now.  She seems to be a textbook Birman, right down to her laces and Roman nose.  She's louder than loud when she wants to be, brings us toy mice to bed and to our shoes, LOVES to play with hangers, shares the beast's dinner, is sweeter than sweet can be and will let me manhandle her better than any cat I've ever encountered.  

And I'll tell you what's really entertaining - calling either Pimmy or Sammie and having them both bolt you in at lightening speed hoping for a treat or some lovin'.  It never fails to crack me up.

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture behind the screen. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Animals are truly one of the greatest gifts in this world. And I love how she so serendipitously came to you at just the right time! As someone who has fallen in and out of love with cats, I'm currently in love with my Pip - when he's not running right between my legs on the stairs. I think it's just because he knows if I fall and become paraplegic then he will be able to sit in my useless lap all day long. He's very selfish that way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...