Friday, April 27, 2012

The Story of The Sign

Yesterday, a plan that has been talked about for almost 15 years began.  He moved the sign.
Let me backtrack a few years.  When I was in high school, maybe 17-18 years old, my best friend and I took her old Oldsmobile to a random mechanic's shop in Jenks (or maybe Bixby...that was a good many years ago!) to be serviced.  While we were waiting for her sweet ride, I glanced down to the stack of newspapers next to me and who did I see on the corner of the front page of the Tulsa World?  My dad sitting on a large, stone sign.  
After reading the story and grilling my parents, I learned that my dad had recently gotten word that his childhood elementary school was being demolished so, being the kind of guy he is, he scurried over as quickly as he could to check things out.  He struck up a deal with the contractor that if he could get the stone sign with the name of the school down without breaking it, he would pay him for it.  Well, the contractor got it down in one piece and the sign was his....to sit in storage for fifteen years.  Until yesterday.
All along, my dad has talked about his dream for incorporating this sign into their house somehow.  After 15 years of just talk, we wondered if that sign would ever be moved!  I was amazed to finally see it in motion.  All 3,000 pounds of it.  Now the sign sits in my folks' backyard, waiting to be incorporated into their soon-to-be constructed outdoor kitchen area.  
Who would have thought that almost 100 years after originally erected, that this 'headstone' would find its finally resting place in my folks backyard.

5 comments:

  1. What's scary is that your dad hasn't changed a bit. I'd like to see the picture hiding in his attic! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I probably would have done the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so cool he thought to keep that pretty piece of history! I bet other people who went there would love to go visit them and see it too! & thanks so much for your sweet comments, sry I've been so absent over here, life's been crazy. I'm super impressed you can grab things quick enough in the mornings before work!
    http://dusanabotswana.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome! I can't wait to see a pic of it at their home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I think we are a lot alike (even our dads)!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...