Friday, June 15, 2012

Fuzzy Friday: Forever

In the shelter world when an animal is adopted, we always say that they finally found their 'forever home'.  Unfortunately, there are many (many, many) who seem to have varying definitions of the word 'forever'.  

When I was actively a volunteer in our cat shelter, I heard every excuse in the book for why an animal no longer fit in their lives.  I *do* think there are some situations where a person does need to find a new situation for an animal but more often than not, I truly believe that the person has just forgotten what the word 'forever' means.
I was raised around animals.  I was born into a home with them.  I learned early on to respect the boundaries of my fuzzy housemates and what would result if I did not respect those boundaries.  I found a deeper sense of love and compassion through my relationships with the animals in our lives that I don't think I could have found elsewhere.  I have dealt with the good, the bad and the ugly in regards to health, habits, personalities, smells (hello, ferrets!)... and I still can't imagine not having them in my life.  My sister battles allergies to cats and has a big ol' fluffy one herself.  They are a part of our lives forever.

With a child coming into our world, I don't think about how I'll keep baby and pets separate but rather, how we can integrate them all together.  While I know it is different, these four-legged forever friends are my first children.  They are gaining a sibling, as she is gaining four of her own.  I want her to be raised to respect, love and cherish animals just as I did.  And I want our fuzzies to always feel loved.  Forever.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! The beast looks so regal in that picture! Some pet owners absolutely drive me crazy. How do you look at a living thing as something so dispensable? I've seen people get rid of pets just because they looked at a baby or slept near or in its bed. Of course they do that! They want to understand the kid! Our dog, Trevor, bit Nyal when he was 10 months old. The vets (I called 7 and almost all of them told me to put him down) said that the dog didn't understand that the kid was a person and that he would do it again. Well, I couldn't put him down, but I did have to keep him separate and outside a lot more, but I kept him for may more years (until he ruined his body jumping fences and had zero quality of life). Anyway, pets are part of families and should be treated as such. Your little lady will be blessed to have so much "family" there to love her. Oh, and tip for you. When you're in the hospital, take a blanket that baby has slept on and have someone bring it home for the pets to get a sniff of so that they have time to get familiar with her scent. I've heard it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of The Beast. He is so handsome and my sweetie. Good advice Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I gave you another award, even though you didn't do the first yet. I figured you were bored without those summer classes! It will be on my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...