Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kitchen Cares

It's amazing to me that it's already the middle of June.  The summer class that I was supposed to teach didn't have enough enrollment so I'm not in the classroom at all which, I'm now realizing, has been quite the blessing.  I've been having trouble thinking of words which is never good for an English teacher ;)  So instead of filling my evenings with lesson planning and grading, I've been cleaning (big surprise), organizing (another shocker), purging, sewing, slowly working on the nursery and spending lots of time in the kitchen.  
Last night I cleared 500+ pictures off of our camera finally and came across this one from a few months back.  I'd been photographing something in the kitchen - garden goods?  a recipe?  who knows -, had set the camera down, spied this through the view finder and snapped it.  

From as young as I can remember, I have spent time in the kitchen be it cooking, cleaning, preparing a meal, being a helping hand to my Granny or Mom but I've always found the kitchen to be a peaceful, relaxing and creative place.  I was raised to embrace it.

Lately, I've been finding myself working in there almost nightly.  The garden is producing heavily now which leads to lots of prep work and fresh meals aplenty, both of which I value.  I've been rethinking where and how we'll store 'mini' dishes in the next few months and hope to begin cleaning out the cupboards to start making room for said dishes soon.  

Our kitchen is what sold this house to me.  It's large, it's avocado green and it has always felt like home.  It's more than just a room; it's the heart of the home, as they say.  I fully agree with whoever 'they' may be :)

4 comments:

  1. That is a great snapshot. Love this post too...Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I gave you an award on my blog in case you're looking for blog fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Our kitchen is always the gathering place. We spend tons of cash on furniture for the living rooms and dining room, but everyone ends up standing, gathered in the kitchen. It's where I could always (except the bathroom) get my mom to stand still and listen or tell me something as a kid. I think the kitchen says the most about a person. That is why I hate my kitchen now. Not hate, but just am not liking. I haven't done anything with it yet and it isn't me yet, but I have no idea what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so wonderful! the kitchen is the total opposite of relaxing to me but I agree, it's all how you're raised and I mostly grew up following my brother around outside.
    http://dusanabotswana.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...