Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Nursery Progress: Transitioning

After a ridiculously fantastic Saturday, the mister and I spent time at home on Sunday working on various odds and ends around the house.  I quickly found myself in the soon-to-be nursery finally starting to wrap my head around what will happen in there design-wise.  To be honest, it's overwhelming.  Some days I feel like I should have more of this baby business done and other days, I feel like I've got all the time in the world.  Before I got pregnant, one of the things I was most excited about was creating a new space in our spare bedroom/my workspace!  I'm still super excited about it but the possibilities are endless which makes it hard for this indecisive Libra to make a plan and stick with it when it comes to this room.

I do know that the dark red will be going.  I absolutely love the color and have used it in other living spaces before but I think in a room with four enclosed walls, it's just a bit oppressive.  We're really planning to lighten the room up!  And we're planning to keep things fairly gender neutral, even though we know we're having a girl.  We have actually decided and agreed upon a somewhat neutral wall color and picked up primer yesterday to get this transition on the road!  We also bought paint for the lockers that we're building a wardrobe out of.  The mister has those already prepped and ready for their first coats tonight!  I'm hoping that once we get these first two colors up, the rest of the color/design decisions will come more easily.  And yes, I know the little lady won't care one way or another but we do :)
So what did I do in there on Sunday besides stare at the walls and play around with the echos?  I spent time going through a hope chest my Mimi gave me years ago that I keep filled with the wall art that doesn't quite make it to the walls.  We're now planning on using this trunk for kiddo stuff storage.  I pulled out pieces that we may use in the nursery and got rid of LOTS of random things I've accumulated over the years.  Also found in there were beloved baby quilts of mine made by my 'backwoods family', some entertaining old family photos and my childhood piano music :)  Cleaning out that trunk was a huge item marked off of my every-growing mental to-do list!
Then I spent some time pulling down 50+ years of wallpaper and paint.  After we initially painted this room when we moved in, we noticed that during certain seasons, one wall would somewhat bubble.  After some investigation, we discovered that this particular wall was layered with two layers of wallpaper and three different paint colors.  I was determined to get it all off.  Luckily, everything came down like a charm!  It was somewhat therapeutic, actually.  As far as we can tell, the other walls are wallpaper-free so we're not going to get our hands dirty with those :)

Just like this pregnancy and the thought of raising a child, completely transforming a room is exciting, overwhelming, fun, scary and full of unexpected turns.  Sure, I realize they are *completely* different things but for me, comparable in the range of emotions experienced.  Transitions, in general, really.

7 comments:

  1. It's so exciting to get that room together. I love that you don't have any preconceived ideas of what you want it to be. Let it come together naturally and it will be perfect! I can't wait to see what you make of it. And I love that trunk. So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting, overwhelming, fun, scary and full of unexpected turns is what makes the journey so memorable. Just remember to enjoy this all while it lasts because it all happens so fast. Congrats and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a few DeGrazia prints in there - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the wall you tore the wallpaper from. Does it look as weathered and pretty in real life, or just a mess? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As some would say, it's a hot mess ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh man your rocker is just as cute! Love it and that toy box, love it! I read down and saw that you visited Woolaroc. We got to visit last October and it was amazing. So glad you guys are doing good and enjoying this time before baby! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...