Monday, August 27, 2012

Pre-Baby Cook-A-Thon!

I know that we can't prepare for what life with baby will be like but we CAN do some preparations to make our life flow a bit more smoothly once she's here, including preparing meals beforehand!  
 About a month or so ago, my mom and I picked a day on the calendar to have a cooking fest where we would cook meals upon meals to freeze.  I had found some meals here and there on the internet, tweaked them to our liking (many adapted from this link), added in a family classic and we had our plan!  Yesterday was the big cooking day so we got up while the rest of the world was at church, spent about $120 on groceries and went back to my folks' house to get our chef on!  
On the menu we had:
Three-Way Spaghetti (a family fave) 
Bathtub Chicken Casserole
Breakfast Burritos
Chicken Enchiladas
Beef Enchiladas
 Three Way Spaghetti 
Spaghetti
2 cans Pinto Beans 
1 large can Diced Tomatoes
1 large can Tomato Sauce
Approx. 2 lbs Ground Beef
Chili Seasoning

Bathtub Chicken Casserole
Spaghetti
4-5 Breasts Oven Roasted Chicken (you could cook the chicken however you want)
1 White Onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
Seasoned Salt
Salt/Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
1 Package Shredded Cheese

Breakfast Burritos
30-40 Medium Tortillas (we had to go back and get more!)
2 Dozen Eggs
60 oz Black Beans
1 Bunch Green Onion
Approx. 1 Package Cheese
Salsa

Chicken Enchiladas
4-5 Breasts Oven Roasted Chicken
1 Can Enchilada Sauce
Whipping Cream (to dip tortillas in and to mix with enchilada sauce at the end)
Cheese
Green Onions (for a little color :)
Taco Seasoning (we just used half a package)
8 Large Tortillas

Beef Enchiladas
Approx 2 lbs Ground Beef
1 Package Taco Seasoning
1 Can Enchilada Sauce
Cheese
Green Onions
8 Large Tortillas

More or less, these are all just cook, mix together and assemble type dishes.  The enchiladas and casserole are reheated by first thawing and then sticking in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  The breakfast burritos (which we individually wrapped) thaw in the microwave for 2 minutes and then reheat for 1 and a half minutes.  The three-way (which we store in sandwich size freezer bags that you can lay on top of another) reheat in the microwave or on the stove, depending on your time frame!  I know these aren't the most exact recipes but you must remember two things - 1) I'm the world's worst at following a recipe so relaying them isn't my forte and 2) you have to make these for YOU!  Store however you see fit, throw in whatever tickles your fancy and have fun with it!
*I do recommend writing on your foiled/bagged dishes when you are done.  Note the contents, when it was made and the reheating instructions.  Or if there is something special about that one dish, note it!  We had one tray of enchiladas where there were only 3, not 4, so we noted that.  You will thank yourself for that later :)  

*Make your grocery list beforehand and organize it.  Veggies, Dairy, Meat, Miscellaneous...  Many recipes will share ingredients too making things that much easier!

*I also suggest to have a friend/family member to help and to multitask!  We had multiple dishes at various stages cooking at the same time.  

*Wear comfy shoes or pull up a chair to the counter if you easily tire physically (much like I do lately) and wear clothes that you don't mind getting a little food on :)

*Finally, make sure you have adequate freezer space!  We're lucky enough to have a small deep freeze that we hadn't utilized to its fullest potential yet so we are able to fill that puppy up!   
So what did we get out of $120 and four-ish hours of cooking and preparing?
8 heaping servings of Three-Way
5 Bathtub Chicken Casseroles
2 Meals of Chicken Enchiladas
2 Meals of Beef Enchiladas
34 Breakfast Burritos

Add all of that to the three loaves of banana bread I cooked and froze a few weeks ago and I'd say we're ready on the food side of things!

It was fun, productive and helped me feel a bit more prepared for what's to come.  I'd love to do a bit more if I have time in the next few weeks!  Any suggestions of good meals to freeze?  

21 comments:

  1. Those enchiladas looked and smelled so good while we were cooking that I am going to make them this week for Dinner!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo man! i could totally go for some of your family 3 way or bathtub chicken right now!!! YUMMMM!

    sooo what about some lasagna? or just some good old ready to go spaghetti sauce?

    and MY favorite thing to freeze has got to be pulled pork. I make small "family" sized bags of it (as in for me, j and the kiddos) and freeze them after i make a biggggg batch! its SUPER handy! And yummy! I have been known to use it for nachos, quesadillas and of course sandwhiches galore! holler if you need my bbq rub & marinade "recipe"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all looks yummy! I will have to try the breakfast burritos. That would be great for Nathan to grab before work.

    I'm actually want to make some freezer meals soon too. I thought some of these sounded yummy. http://kojo-designs.com/2012/04/getting-organized-a-whole-months-worth-of-meals-via-crockpot-freezer-cooking/

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO SMART. You will not believe how hungry you are and at the oddest times. Things that you can eat one-handed are also a bonus. Wish I would have thought to freeze a few things! -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello to every one, the contents present at this site are actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep
    up the nice work fellows.

    Here is my webpage ... http://www.twinkiz.com/MyronHoll/info/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey very interesting blog!

    my blog ... 9gag bed cartography

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the easiest thing to be
    aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    my webpage where to vacation 6 months pregnant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to
    assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds or even I
    fulfillment you access persistently quickly.

    Stop by my blog post - workouts to improve vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  9. If some one wishes expert view about running a blog after that i recommend him/her
    to pay a visit this website, Keep up the fastidious job.


    Feel free to visit my page - workouts to increase Vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asking questions are in fact pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything completely, except this piece of writing presents fastidious understanding yet.


    Also visit my page: exercises to increase vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to your blog before but after going through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I'll be book-marking it and
    checking back regularly!

    my webpage; vertical jump programs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very shortly this web page will be famous amid all blogging and site-building users,
    due to it's fastidious articles

    My web-site - workouts to increase vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there to every single one, it's truly a fastidious for me to visit this web page, it consists of valuable Information.

    Here is my web blog: workouts to jump higher

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read so many articles on the topic of the blogger lovers
    except this piece of writing is actually a nice
    article, keep it up.

    Feel free to surf to my website; http://www.bikersowned.ca/blogs/1740/1622/several-good-exercises-to-use-to

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not comment, however I browsed some comments on this page
    "Pre-Baby Cook-A-Thon!". I do have some questions for
    you if it's okay. Is it only me or do a few of the comments appear like they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional sites, I'd like to keep up with you.
    Could you list of every one of all your social networking pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?



    Here is my weblog ... cheyne.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read some excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you put to create such a great informative site.

    my site :: exercises to increase vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! Finally something about sportsman guide magazine.



    Also visit my site :: www.pcbroke.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a leisure account
    it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?

    my homepage: exercises for vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

    Look at my webpage ... workouts to increase vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is certainly a lot to learn about this topic. I
    really like all the points you have made.

    Here is my website - exercises to jump higher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...