Thursday, January 24, 2013

Life With Rio: *Almost* Four Months

So I have FOUR of these types of posts drafted but have never posted them and I'm not sure why.   That's  a lie.  I have some ideas why.  For one, I don't want to inundate this space with baby posts and two, there's just TOO much to say about life with Rio!  But I'm going to give it a whirl every once in a while so here we go :)
Little Rio will be four months old on February 1st but it feels like she's been here all along.  For the first month, she slept on my chest at night in bed.  It was sweet, bonding and it worked for a while but after she became a bit more active, I was ready for her to sleep elsewhere so into a swing she went where she would sleep for up to TEN hours straight.  We were so, SO spoiled by that.  Then one night when I walked by her room, the swing wasn't swinging.  The motor had gone kaput.  It was a sad, sad day ;)  Since then, she's been sleeping in a 'pack n play' bassinet in our room and wakes up two-three times a night which isn't that bad but when you're spoiled with those epic sleeps early on, well, it feels like she's always up!  I realize that our 'bad' nights are others good nights!  Soon, we're going to start making the move to the crib which I'm looking forward to so we don't have to tip toe to go to bed!

She's a pretty solid napper, usually taking at least one two-three hour nap mid day.  At this point, it seems she's a one-nap-a-day kid but I'm sure that will change eventually!  (and as I write this, she's already woken up twice from her nap so not all days are perfect!)
I honestly had my reservations about breastfeeding.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to be completely and truly responsible for feeding someone, for being a food source but I decided to give it a try and see how it went before I threw in the towel.  I was lucky in the fact that she had a good latch and had no issues with supply but man, oh man, did it hurt for a few months!  It felt like two hours would pass in five minutes before it was time to feed again and then all of the sudden, it didn't hurt and it quickly became second nature.  I'm glad now that I decided to give it a go and that it's worked out.  I'm not sure how long we'll keep it up for but for now, it's working :)
Personality-wise, this kid is pretty entertaining.  From her gigantic smiles to her frequent squeals and coos, she makes her presence known, in a good way.  She definitely knows who her mom and dad are and already has us wrapped around her little fingers.  Speaking of her dad, he's awesome with her.  I can't even express what a joy it is to watch them together.  She rolled over from front to back quite some time ago and it seems that she's thisclose to rolling from back to front.  God help us all.  She's started mimicking this tongue thing I do and can even make the sound but by moving her tongue differently, if any of that even makes sense.  Her hands serve her more everyday as she figures out how they work.  She drools if she's chewing on her hand or giraffe but I don't *think* that's she's teething yet.  She's just really started taking notice of the animals when they are around and seems to really enjoy the feel of Vera's hair, which Vera equally enjoys.  
  I can't believe she's already had a chance to grow out of clothes and graduate to larger sized diapers!  She hangs out by herself much more too which is awesome (hello free arms!) but is sad because she's one step closer to not being a baby anymore!  She seems to like watching us go about our routines around the house in the mornings and evenings.  Last week we put together her high chair where she actually sits and hangs out with us at the dinner table while we eat.  Her eyes never leave us.  It'd be creepy if it weren't our kid ;)

It sounds so cliche to say but time really is flying by and she's changing in front of our eyes!  Already 1/3 of a year old.  Crazy.

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see pics of sweet Rio! what a happy little family you have!! love you guys bunches - LOTS of cuddles to beautiful Rio. Happy big 4 months old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the chub Rio is getting! Our babies need to quit growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for giving breastfeeding a go! I had cracked nipples (TMI??) the first few months and it was as though G was chewing broken glass while he nursed... torture. But when we finally got that healed it was awesome. You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...