Monday, January 7, 2013

One of Those Outfits: The End of Leave

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.  I went back to work today. Or maybe I should say WE went back to work as I had my mini sidekick in tow.

Today was my first day back at my parents' shop for the first time in almost four months.  I don't think I have EVER taken a break from any type of work for that long before.  Granted, motherhood IS work and I also worked on the show but it was truly a big change for me.  Maternity leave took me a bit to get used to, honestly.  I had a hard time NOT doing anything; NOT working.  After a while and after Rio started to get a bit more interactive did I start to find my rhythm at home.  Now, we're going to have to find our rhythm together at work.

There are lots of benefits to working with your folks, bringing your baby to work with you being a HUGE one.  Sure there are days I'm sure we all want to pull each others' hair out but all in all, working with family has been a very positive experience for me.  And I have no doubt that my parents are excited about being around Rio more :)  My sister and I both grew up at the shop and we turned out alright so it only makes sense for Rio to spend her young days there as well!

I don't go back to teaching until the end of the month so this will be a nice transition into a full work day for me before that rolls around.  I'll only be teaching one class and it's a class that I've taught (and LOVE to teach - Speaking) many times so I'm hoping that the first semester with baby will be a smooth one.  While I am in the classroom, my mom will watch Rio at the shop for me which I couldn't be more thankful for.  We have a back office at the shop that is barely used so we've pretty much turned it into a nursery!  Ha!  I'm hoping she'll find herself comfortable in there quickly.  Fingers crossed!

When I work at the shop, I can pretty much wear whatever I want but since it was my first day back, I wanted to dress up just a *little* so I put this odd and colorful number on :)  I picked up this 70s Bill Blass tunic during the last Kanokla.  When I pulled it out of my bag to show the mister, he blurted out something to the effect of, 'I know, you love this one' and I surely do.  The zipper makes it easy for quick feedings and I love that I can wear it as a dress or with jeans.  It was well worth the $3 I spent on it ;)  Nothing else is really notable about the ensemble except for the wonderful beast who I already miss not spending all day with!

I think the biggest immediate transition will be getting used to waking up early again!  This kid and I like to sleep :)  I also know I'll miss the animals, especially spending everyday with Pimmy who isn't doing the best.  She's still awfully cute though.  It's good for me to get my mind off of these things so work is probably a quiet blessing.  Wish us all luck that the rest of the first week goes well!

1 comment:

  1. That dress is amazing! I'm so glad you are able to take Rio to work with you! What sort of shop do your parents own?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...