Thursday, February 21, 2013

I'm Not Super Woman

Lately, I've had lots of people say to me, "I don't know how you do it all!"  Here's the secret:  I don't.  I can't.  I have tons of help, firstly.  My mom has been a godsend, watching Rio while I teach or have various meetings and the mister is an angel taking her for a while after work or on the weekends so I can tend to other things (grading, estate sales, sewing, filing, long baths...) and have a little break.  

I've always been good at time management and multi-tasking which have played such an important role for me lately.  I try and plan things out a day in advance and schedule accordingly to the best of my ability.  I'm learning that you can't plan for everything though.  Diaper business as you're walking out of the door sets you back a bit, ailing cat knocking over random things leads to a chore you didn't plan for, fussy baby during dinner time means cold food for one of us or a usually good sleeper having a not-so-good night means tired parents the next day.  But I try to have a good attitude about it all and try to remind myself that one of these days, she'll be grown and gone and I'll miss aspects of this hectic time, that people understand why it takes me longer to respond to an email and why I can't participate in everything I did before.  I am a super woman right now, but I'm not Super Woman.  I'm human.

The older she gets, the more I realize that sooner than later, I will have to cut back on some stuff to keep my sanity.  Two jobs, two side businesses, three boards, a wife, a mother and a person as her own.  Something's got to give somewhere.  But I'm passionate about everything I'm involved in and everything I am which makes those decisions next to impossible for me.  I'm sure when the time is right, I'll know what must change and I'll make that change.  For now though, I'll keep on trucking, will take my random thirty minutes of freedom when I can get them and will enjoy a beverage here and there with some deep breaths, thankful thoughts and positive reflections.  
We're lucky. This is precious time. For all of us.  And I'm loving it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...