Monday, February 25, 2013

The Stella Quilt

What do you do when you forget about a birthday party and have no gift?  Well, apparently I think it's a good idea to try and make a quilt 24 hours before said party!
If you follow my Facebook Page, then you've seen that I've been working on a mighty quilt for us lately.  I'm very close to finishing quilting it and hope to have it completely bound within the next week but we'll see!  Anywho, my original goal was to finish OUR quilt this past weekend when I had the bright idea to start this one Saturday afternoon for a precious two-year-old daughter of a friend of ours. 

It was pretty simple, really.  I cut out her name in pieces of scrap fabric that I had leftover from various projects.  I zig zag stitched each letter on alllllll around the letter.  They already have started and will continue to fray as time passes. 

What got the ball rolling was this cat sheet I had.  This little lady doesn't have any cats of her own but LOVES cats (much like me ;) so I figured a kitty quilt would be perfect!  I actually HAD these sheets when I was a little girl but these are not those exact ones.  I happened to be at the shelter one day last month dropping off some things when a woman came in to donate alllllllll of her cat themed stuff.  Most used things, we pass along to other animal charities that can use or sell used stuff.  As we were going through the bags, we came across these sheets and I quickly laid claim to them if nobody else wanted them.  They were mine.  I even got a matching coffee cup!  :) 

With the foundation for red and white established, I sought out something that would work to stitch those letters onto and remembered this piece of pretty white fabric that I bought at Made a while back.  They have tons of baskets filled with vintage fabric that continue to get me in trouble ;)  I don't have many solid fabrics AT ALL so it as like it was meant to be that I had this one!

After I stitched the letters on and sandwiched all of my pieces, I started stitching!  I just did a big rectangle around the letters (TOTALLY not a symmetrical rectangle but it worked) and then did lines straight out from there in red thread.  Easy peasy and simple.

I had some vintage red bias tape that had never been opened that said it measured 9 feet long which I knew would be perfect for this!  Uh, well, once I started pinning it, there wasn't enough!  Apparently this quilt was 10 feet around!  I'm SO bad at gauging that!  So I sat for a while trying to figure out what to do without going to the store to buy more when I decided to make my own bias tape!  I did it out of some vintage polyester fabric that was kind of thick and kind of a pain but I made it work!  And now I know how to make bias tape and am currently working on some for our quilt :)  This quilt ended up being 3 feet by 2 feet; perfect for a little toddler!

I was lucky enough to have the mister hang out with a very well-behaved little girl Saturday so I could bust this thing out.  I think it only took about four hours from start to finish!  It was a fun project and I think it's safe to say that I'm now addicted to making quilts!  See my first quilt here.  Maybe one of these days I'll actually take a class and learn how to do them *for real*....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...