Monday, April 29, 2013

A Small Town Weekend

I've been to my mister's hometown more times than I could even begin to count.  It's like a second home to me and it's actually where we met.  It's a true blue small town and while Tulsa's not huge, it sure is compared to Okemah!  
This past weekend we took the hour-long trek to stay the weekend with my fantastic father-in-law for a number of reasons.  For one, we hadn't been there since the holiday season!  That's way too long and with a baby that changes weekly, we were way overdue for everyone to see each other again.  For two, it was Okemah's Pioneer Days festival.  This is a BIG deal in town.  It involves a carnival that runs for a few days, a street dance and a parade down Broadway.  Every vehicle with a siren from any nearby town begins the parade, followed by a wide variety of old and new cars, pageant queens and ends with, my favorite, a wide variety of horses. 
The third reason we went down was because it was my mister's high school reunion.  Twenty year high school reunion, that is.  I can't believe I'm married to someone who has been out of high school for twenty years!  I don't think HE can believe it!  Hell, that means I've been out for fifteen years now.  Craziness.  Another town comparison for you - he graduated with about 65 classmates and I graduated with about 850 classmates.  A bit of a difference. 
A few hours after the *epic* parade ended, we journeyed back to that area for dinner and drinks with his classmates that came to the reunion.  It was a laid back good time.  Even Rio seemed to enjoy herself.  Later, the kid and I headed back to the homestead for a late bedtime aka 9 p.m.  Brent headed back out to continue the festivities with his high school chums until the wee hours of the morning.  Good times.
We do lots of FaceTime conversations with family far away but there's nothing like in-person interactions with the little one.  I know they love it and I think it keeps them fresh in her mind so they aren't so foreign a sight when they do meet in person.  Oh, technology.
I've been blessed with some killer in-laws.  I don't know what I did to get so lucky to have them in my life.  
So now we're back in the 'big city' but always missing our small town and those in it.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a fun little getaway. I adore festivals and things of that sort (great photos too, by the way!). I bet your man was beaming over the fact that he has you two lovely ladies in his life to take to his reunion. You all are so sweet. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...