Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Life With Rio: Seven Months

This kid is SEVEN MONTHS OLD tomorrow!  I can't believe how time has flown!  It's been a while since my last Rio update so here ya go :)
Just a few days after I last reported, Rio started sleeping in her crib.  That felt like a big kid moment.  Vera also sleeps in the crib in the mornings.  We're a sharing family.  Some nights Rio will sleep 10 hours in her crib and other nights, she'll wake up in the middle of the night so we just bring her to bed with us where she'll finish up the night.  Regardless, we always bring her to bed in the morning to finish out that last little bit of sleep :)  I usually wake up with a baby in the crook of my arm and two cats on my chest.  Somehow, Brent typically gets most of the space in the bed.  Lucky dog ;)
I feel like we're much more scheduled now than we were before.  We start the bedtime ritual around 8 when before it was just whenever she showed signs of being sleepy.  She'll get in at least one one-hour nap a day, sometimes two.  She wakes up in the morning at a fairly consistent time.  I don't want her to be a slave to a schedule though but I do like that we have a loose schedule in place.  I think it helps all of us.
Speaking of a bedtime ritual, this is how it goes nowadays.  Around 7, she gets her solids.  Yup, she eats food!  More on that in a minute.  Brent feeds her (so she doesn't see me as the only food source) and I usually wipe her down.  Every other night we give her a bath which she enjoys quite a bit.  When Pimmy was alive, she would jump on my back while I bathed her in the tub.  Cue circus music :)  From there, dad takes care of getting her ready for bed while I prepare myself for my portion of the bedtime routine.  Some of her best laughs are heard during this time.  This kid sure loves her dad.  After she's ready for bed, she's brought to me where I nurse her one last time, usually leading her to fall asleep.  Sometimes she requires a little rocking but typically, she falls right asleep.  I quietly walk her down the hall, lay her in her crib, cover her up with a soft blanket and close the door behind me.  Some nights she'll wake up 30 minutes later but that's nothing a warm hand on the chest won't fix.  
In regards to food, I'm still nursing which has gone well up until a few weeks ago.  Don't read any more if you don't want to hear about my boobs!  Long, painful story short, I have an infection on my nipple that is very common in breastfeeding moms but it SUCKS (pun intended ;)  Luckily we have a kick ass pediatrician who is helping us through it.  I'm hoping I'm on the tail end of it.  Fingers tightly crossed.  We're nursing through it, day by day.  We added in solids at the beginning of six months which has been very entertaining!  I've been making her food which I believe is saving us money and makes me feel good knowing exactly what is going into her little body!  Plus it was super easy.  I'm getting ready to make another batch of new foods within the next week and will begin to introduce her to all sorts of new things!  We're only feeding her solids in the evenings but will be adding in a morning solid meal within the next week.  I'm just trying to figure out how to schedule it in!  Will she eat at work with me?  At home?  
Physically, this kid has grown SO much.  As of last week, she's 17 pounds, 10 ounces and is 26.5 inches long.  She is allllll about sucking on her toes and flips her tongue back and forth nonstop, both things I did nonstop when I was a baby.  She freaking LOVES to bounce in her jumpers and often just starts jumping in our arms.  I'm getting some pretty good guns by bouncing her myself!  ;)  She can sit up unassisted and rolls all over the place!  She isn't exactly crawling yet BUT she scoots backwards on her belly everywhere!  I do believe babyproofing the house will need to happen within a few weeks!  She still loves Vera and Vera loves her.  She's very, very gentle with feeling her fur but will grab tight every once in a while.  It never bothers Vera though.  
No teeth yet but there are two white spots just below the surface on her bottom gums.  Some nights I feel like she's experiencing teething pain and I expect to see teeth the next morning but still nothing.  

She's a chatterbox with the most common sound being DA DA DA DA as loud as possible.  She also has this high pitched happy squeal that often makes me jump when she does it.  I wish I could bottle that sound up and save it for rainy days.
This kid goes everywhere with me.  She still joins me at work with my folks and loves seeing them everyday, just as I know they love seeing her everyday.  She's joined me in so many meetings, I have a feeling she'll second a motion any minute.  We spend lots of afternoons and evenings outside where she'll hang out happily for quite some time.  
She's such a good-natured baby.  We're very, very lucky.  Even when she's super sleepy, she's all smiles and giggles.  Her laughs are like gold and it's hilarious the things that she finds funny.  Brent can make her laugh in ways I can only wish for.  It's adorable to watch.  

I have WAY too much fun dressing her although I've said more than once that I think it's easier to dress a cat some days ;)  I typically make our outfits coordinate but mark my words, we'll never wear matching outfits!  I do have my limits :)  She's wearing 6-12 month clothes but she's already outgrowing many of the six month sizes.  It's been fun to pull out outfits that we got at showers that we'd forgotten about.  
Sometimes I think she looks just like me but other times I see nothing but Brent.  One thing's for sure, she's herself.  One perfect, happy, beautiful baby that we love having in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! She is such a doll! These kiddos are getting so big! Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...