Friday, May 10, 2013

Fuzzy Friday: Life with a Senior Cat

More than once in my life I've stated that one day, I'd like to have a kitty hospice for aging cats.  Through my work with StreetCats over the years, I've heard more than one sad story about a cat being dumped, put down or rehomed due to their age and sometimes health issues.  It's never made sense to me.  When you commit to an animal, at whatever age it is, you COMMIT to that animal for the duration of its life, however long that may be.  
As you know, we said goodbye to our Pimmy just a little over two months ago.  It still doesn't feel real and I'm not sure when it will but we've continued on as we must.  Yesterday we found out that Sammie is now battling pancreatitis.  From what I understand, it's not as serious of an issue that we dealt with with Pimmy but it's still an organ not functioning like it should.  We've done a few rounds of fluids, something I'm all too familiar with, some b12, antibiotics, and this morning started pills that will hopefully help her nausea and bring her appetite back.  
Yes, it's one more thing that I have to do in the morning and I'm cleaning up cat puke more than anyone would like to BUT I MADE A COMMITMENT.  When I have been my worst, our pets still give us their best.  I owe them nothing less.
If lucky, every kitten becomes a cat and then a senior kitty.  I will do whatever I can, within, reason, to keep a cat healthy, noisy and loving, whatever age they are.  That's what we're doing with Sammie.  That's what we did with Pimmy.  It's part of our promise.
Keep our fuzzy friend in your thoughts.  Keep all senior fuzzies in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...