Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Jumpin' July

July has been a busy month for our little family!  I was just reflecting the other day about how much we've been hustling and bustling and how good the kid has been doing with varying her routines.  For the first weekend of the month, we all stayed up late for the 4th of July (post coming soon :) which was actually the kid's first go around at living off schedule.  The following weekend was WoodyFest which involved three days of successfully living WAY off schedule.  Well, we continued on this trend and last weekend, we decided to take an impromptu trip to Oklahoma City to see the mister's former band, Western Residents, and to celebrate their cd release!
 
We had a great time getting to see missed, old friends and thoroughly enjoyed the music outside.  


Even though we have tons of friends and family in the city, we decided to just get a room for a few reasons.  First, we needed somewhere that had a bed big enough in case the kid woke up and came to bed with us since we're a 50% of the time co-sleeping family.  We also didn't want to burden anyone with a crying baby in case we had one of 'those' nights.  It wasn't.  Finally, we thought it would be fun and the kid had never stayed in a hotel before so why not!?

 We checked out hotels in the downtown area and ended up going with the historic Skirvin Hotel.  I didn't realize though until we were almost to our destination that it's supposedly a haunted hotel!  No ghosts were seen by us but, to be honest, I was a little freaked out by the possibility of it! 
 During my short time as a parent, I've learned that many hotels have cribs that they will supply if you request one in your room.  We didn't have to worry about bringing a pack n play but just a few comforts from home.  She was in bed four hours after normal bedtime but being the rock star that she is, it was no problem for her.  She spent most of her night in her fancy crib and just a short while with me in bed :)
 The following morning, Brent got up earlier than I and met up with his brother to play golf.  Rio and I took our time checking out of the hotel and then explored some of downtown OKC on foot.  I went to undergraduate school in Oklahoma City but haven't really been back to check things out since downtown went through its boom.  When I moved away (2002), they had just finished the canal and the buzz was that it was a waste since there was nothing to see from the canal!  Now from what I understand, you can take the water all the way from the airport to downtown!  Amazing!  I was in awe of how much things had changed down there during our walk. 
 
We made our way to the Myriad Gardens and since we were there so early with very few people out with us, I decided to just let Rio explore on her own (with me right behind her snapping photos).  It was probably my favorite part of the weekend :)
 
My new favorite of her :)
 After our morning of being explorers, we went along and hung out with several of our dear friends that we don't get to see near often enough.  A few hours later, the mister and his brother were done golfing so Rio, myself, and two of our OKC friends met up with the golfers for a late lunch on Lake Hefner.  We hit the road shortly after that but took the long way home to stop through Okemah to wish my father-in-law a Happy Birthday.  It was an absolutely perfect 24 hours.

1 comment:

  1. The last pic is DARLING! She has grown so much! What a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...