Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The 4th of July at the End of July

Better late than never, right?!  :)

For the past 4th of July, Rio's FIRST 4th of July, we headed down to the river to watch Tulsa put on their annual show.  Before I started teaching ESL and working for my folks, I was a secretary at an architecture firm for five years.  Their offices back riiiiiiiiight up to Veteran's Park which is where the big shebang, pun intended, happens for this particular holiday.  They throw a big shindig and invite hoards of people and have a good time together.  We go from year to year and this year decided to give it a whirl with a baby in tow!  As I mentioned before, this was our first go at a late night with Rio which set the tone for a month full of successful late weekends!
Long story short, we had a blast and, even though she won't remember it, I'm sure she enjoyed herself as well.  We were handed a spinny, light-up, vibrating toy thing that was a savior for us once we got past bedtime.  We were also fortunate enough to have some friends lend us these awesome ear muff, sound diffuser things (I'm full of great vocabulary today!) that didn't seem to bother her in the slightest.  In fact, once the fireworks started, she watched about half of the show in awe and then crashed in my lap, not once pulling the headphones off.
 
A few years back, we had a succession of REALLY hellish 4th of July celebrations.  As in we spent much time in the ER and burn units.  After all of that, I didn't leave the house for the holiday for several years.  I felt like we were 4th cursed!  Well finally, two years ago I got brave and we started doing things again.  And guess what?  We didn't die and nobody ended up in the hospital!  We weren't cursed!  I tend to be an anxious person on the inside when it comes to certain things and I want to do everything and anything I can to NOT pass that along to Rio.  Having a successful and positive first 4th with her really put me at ease for Independence Days of the future. 
What I love about the fuzzy photo above is that part of my 4th memories are in it as well.  See the circular building behind us?  My Mimi lived in that building for a large part of my childhood and we spent many Fourths on her balcony watching the fireworks as a family.  Now, we're helping Rio build her own memories with the holiday on the ground where mine began.  There's that crazy full circle business again!  ;)
I'll end this rambling with a photo taken by the awesome gal who coordinated the night of fun and will say thank you to July for being SUCH a great month to our little family of three.  August, you've got a lot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...