Monday, December 9, 2013

Alliday Reflections & Recap

Two Saturdays ago, I put on our fourth annual Alliday Show with the very gracious help of my family and some amazing volunteers.  I feel like this was by far our best show while at the same time, being the most exhausting for me!  I don't know if it was moving it so close to the end of the semester, having a molar-teething one-year old or just having more elements in it this time around but it sure took it out of me.  It was SUCH a good time though, exhaustion aside.  Here's a fairly brief recap with photos pulled from my phone :)

The doors opened promptly at 9 and let in those faithful fifty who had been waiting in the SUPER cold wind for swag bags!  The folks who make sure to be there early for those bags always impress and surprise me.  The swag bags WERE pretty cool though so they were worth waiting for!  

This year, Retro Den provided a lounge for shoppers to hang out in and hang out they did!  I LOVED having this component this year and really loved working with the Ashleys of Retro Den.  Their store is just asking to get me into trouble.  Seriously.  I've been building a shopping list in my head for a while now.

Another new part of the show was our stage area!  We had ongoing crafting demonstrations and music from my sister!  I had been very reluctant in the past to have something like this at the show but decided to give it a try this year and am glad that we did.  Pictured below is Short Mountain Sundries teaching us how to make t-shirt yarn and Aaron Paul Designs teaching us how to make elephants out of old forks! 


We revamped quite a bit of the decor this year.  It needed refreshing.  I needed it to be refreshed.  My sister and our volunteers really helped me achieve these changes.  This was our back wall at the information desk.  I LOVED this.  The garland is now a part of our holiday decor at home and the Hi is just waiting to be pulled out of a box to go in my work area. 

We were a bit more selective with our artists this year.  We didn't want to just accept artists just to fill spaces.  We decreased the number of exhibitors by about 15 this year and I think it was a great decision.  It did make for a smaller budget but I was able to do some things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, like change up our floor plan which is what I've gotten the most positive feedback on thus far.
I also feel like we had great, great diversity among the artists. When I mostly made jewelry, I hated nothing more than being in a show where it felt like 90% of the artists were also jewelry makers.  We definitely worked hard to insure that our artists were unique in their craft and chose artists that we were confident in.  Choosing who to have in a show is by far the hardest part of producing an arts and crafts show.  On the flip side, it's awesome seeing all of those artists together in one space doing their thing.  :)

So what does the future hold for Alliday?  I have no idea, honestly.  I'm crazy proud of what I've accomplished with the show over the past four years but I think for it to continue, more things need to evolve.  I've got some wild ideas for the show but I have to evaluate how feasible they are and if it's worth it.  I love the show.  Love it, love it but it has to change.


This is probably the most candidly I've ever written about the show-producing side of my life but I'm in a season of change and would love other perspectives on it.  Have you shopped with us?  Exhibited with us?  Tell me your thoughts!  I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...