Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Journey from Jewelry

I made jewelry for many, many years.  Like, since I was a kid.  I was obsessed with seed beaded necklaces, looms, and those nostalgic friendship bracelets.  Being the business-minded kid that I was, I would of course sell my creations or even barter with them.  I once got a pretty sweet custom painted turtle photo for a necklace that I would now cringe at.  Organizing beads, creating order out of tiny chaos, and making things to adorn our earthly bodies made my world sing.  Making jewelry helped pay for my college drinks and eventually even led to me meeting my mister.  I swore I would always be making jewelry.

It's been almost two years since I've dug out my beads.  I've done some custom wedding orders here and there and lots of repairs but I haven't felt inspired to make jewelry since I was pregnant.  What happened?  To be honest, I'm not one-hundred percent sure.
Photo from this Tulsa People article.
There are some things that come into play, I believe.  For one, messing with tons of tiny little beads and jewelry-making parts is difficult (for me) with a kid.  I'm a messy jewelry maker!  I also tend to make things that I'm into at the moment.  Once I had Rio, I quit wearing most jewelry, aside from earrings.  I'm just now starting to get back into wearing necklaces after an almost two-year hiatus. Then there was the 'too many jewelry people' aspect of the handmade world.  Seriously, everyone and their dog makes jewelry and figuring out how to stand out was no easy task.  It was exhausting.  I also lost the urge to hunt for vintage jewelry to use in my work.  I had SO much already that I think I was maxed out which eventually led to a jewelry-making/hoarding/coveting burn out.
Honestly, it does make me a bit sad in a way.  Jewelry-making has always been such a HUGE part of my life and now it's not there.  On my own accord, though.  On the other hand, why make something when I'm not inspired to do so?  I'm enjoying sewing so very much right now that I can't imagine NOT doing that.  It's strange because I feel like I had a pretty good eye for jewelry and was pretty damn knowledgeable and adept at it.  With sewing, I've learned lots but I still have a long way to go to feel at the top of my game.  But all of that is ok.  I'm listening to my gut, and am doing what feels right at the moment.  And I'm loving it.

It's still on my mind though.  People still ask me constantly if I am still making jewelry or if I still have that jewelry business.  Seriously, all of the time.  I'm still being given bags of jewelry to use and am asked to fix private pieces often (which I don't mind at all).  I know I'll make it again.  I still have boxes (and boxes) of things to work with and have been playing with some designs in my head lately.  It's still in there but other creative methods are singing louder to me right now and I'm listening to those.

I do have some jewelry left from my heyday in the shop at reduced prices (and remember there's that 20% code KITTENFEVER until Monday!) which I would absolutely love to be worn by someone (Mother's Day gifts??).  I've been pairing down my personal collections in the instagram shop and will also have lots at this fun event on Sunday.  It feels good to be decluttering that part of my life. It's been therapeutic.  Hell, everything has been therapeutic for me lately, it seems. And I'm digging it.

1 comment:

  1. You have had an amazing journey in your jewelry business, Briana! And it’s really heartbreaking to know that you have to stop it for a while. But it’s a practical move to take a break. Inspiration is one important factor in your business in order for you to create beautiful pieces of jewelry. And without it, you can’t be productive. This break will give you a good opportunity to relax. And who knows, inspiration may just strike you again one of these days.

    Clint Shaff @ Franchise Match

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...