Thursday, May 8, 2014

One of Those Outfits: A Vintage Love Affair

Two outfit posts in a row?!  I don't know what's come over me!
On Saturday before the Derby shindig, the kid and I took the beast to the vet (tonsillitis!), dropped him back off home and headed to the flea market.  It's been a while since I've been able to leisurely stroll through my favorite Saturday haunt so I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.  It's also been quite some time since I've bought anything at the Flea Market.  Most of the time lately, I just like to 'window shop' and catch up with the random folks I run into but this time, I found a few things to take home!  I happened upon a booth that I didn't recognize which was filled with OLD vintage clothes and linens, aka my heaven.  Most of the clothes though weren't really my speed but her prices sure were!  Another woman in the booth pulled out the dress I'm wearing here and I totally had a moment of 'I want that! jealousy.  I did my best not to make it obvious though, because that's just tacky, and held my breath that she'd put it back on the rack...and she did!  When I got my grubby hands on it and held it up to myself, I wasn't sure that the bodice would fit me but for $5, I couldn't leave it behind so home it came along with some HeeHaw overalls for the kid (they are heeeeeeelarious).  Once I got the frock cleaned, I tried it on with bated breath and it fit perfectly!  I had to do a little mending which took no longer than 5 minutes.  I'm in LOVE with it.  It also came with a sheer matching top but in my opinion, the two pieces together are just too much but separately, they are both uh-mazing. 

Well, that was a lot of talk about buying a dress.  Happens.
Sometimes vintage clothing makes me appreciate my body more than modern clothing.  It took me many, many years to wear more form fitting clothes (you should seriously see some of my majorly oversized outfits I wore growing up) and to embrace my body more.  Many vintage garments seem to fit me well and emphasize the parts of my body that I also want to emphasize!  Take this dress, for example.  I don't have much size difference between my waist and my hips but the cut of this dress gives the allusion that there is more of a difference than there actually is.  I'm sure no one notices this except for me but what it does do is give me a little extra boost in confidence when wearing a garment that feels more flattering to ME.  I'm sure there are many modern frocks that can give me that boost as well but my pocketbook leans towards the vintage-priced side of things.  Plus, vintage often means one of a kind.  Yes.
Add all that babble to the ongoing list of reasons why I love wearing vintage.  It makes me feel good, man.

Vintage Dress - Flea Market / Sweater Jacket - from my high school days / Shoes - Birkenstocks / 
Necklace - Self Made from vintage earring

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...