Not only did I dip my toes in free motion quilting this week, I also finished a quilt that I had been ignoring for too long! Yay, progress!
This particular quilt began simply because I wanted to use those last little green and yellow pieces of fabric I had leftover from pillow covers I'd sold. I had just a small amount left so I just chopped up what remained into equal sized squares and started piecing. As you've probably noticed by now, with these quilts, I don't really go into them with a plan but rather just start piecing, work my way out, and hope everything turns out ok in the end! I think this one worked out well. :) I highlighted the focal fabric with small bits of a khaki fabric I had stashed away and finished things out with a beautifully rustic old, linen-like fabric.
That cream fabric has so much charm with some fading here and there and a few little spots which I think adds tons of character. I wasn't so sure about using this fabric due to those little 'imperfections' but in the end, I'm SO glad I did. That's part of the beauty of using vintage fabrics.
The front came together fairly quickly but what stalled me was the back. I just couldn't find the right fabric in a large enough size that I thought worked. After letting this one sit around for a month or so, I finally decided that this soft vintage sheet (surprise, surprise!) would be the perfect backing and would add just a little more color. Of course what I had wouldn't fit exactly so I had to do some piecing and used the last little bits of that focal fabric to finish it out. Voila!
I think what makes this quilt really work is the quilting, in my opinion. I basted it a little differently this time which took just a hair longer but sure seemed to make a difference.
I think this is the the most I've ever quilted a quilt! I'm sure there's some stitch number to quilt size ratio thing in there but I don't know how to figure that business out. ;) All I know is that I wanted a design that showed off the front design and this one just made sense. I think the extra effort paid off.