Monday, June 30, 2014

The Byrd Quilt

Hellooooooo!  It may seem like I haven't been making much lately but that couldn't be further from the truth!  I have been mega busy busting out one thing after another but have had to wait to share these things until the time was right.  First up, a widdle baby blanket for the little one my friend Amby is cooking right now!
I'm actually elbow-deep in working on a king-size quilt right now so working on this piece was a nice break from the gigantic-ness I've been focusing on.  Amby's shower crept up so quickly for me that I wasn't sure I'd have time to bust out a quilt for her but I was determined (and crazy) so this was born during nap times and bed times for half of a week. 
What's different about this one for me is that it's made from all modern fabrics!  The killer main fabric came from Owl & Drum (have I told you how much I love that place?!) and the solids were some of Tex's handmedowns.  Amazingly, the bias tape was purchased and matched that center strip spot on.  Serendipitous, yes?
I also decided to free motion quilt this one.  I could have just used a regular foot but, I figure, I'll never improve with FMQ unless I keep practicing with it!  The front doesn't show too much of the quilting craziness but the back sure does!  It may not be perfect or aligned or straight but, boy howdy, it's durable!  I was pleased that there was minimal puckering which tells me I'm getting better at basting!  Progress!  :)
The backing may look familiar to many of you as this is the third quilt I've used it on!  I *think* I may be able to squeeze one more baby-sized quilt out of it if I'm careful.  It's just so soft and works with SO many colorways!  I'll sure miss it when it's all gone.
Amby is such a sweet, good mom to her little man, a wonderful maker, and a good friend to me with a terrifically wonderful laugh.  Seriously, it's the best laugh.  I can't wait to meet her next guy (soon!!) and to see him being all baby-ish on his quilt!  You can spit up all over this one, little man, it's yours!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...