Friday, August 15, 2014

My Dream Kitchen

And now, I welcome you to my favorite room in our house, the room I will undoubtedly miss the most, the room that made me fall in love with our first home:  the kitchen. 
When we first began looking for a house to buy, Brent and I were living in different cities.  In fact, we'd spent no more than five days straight together.  Buying a house together was certainly a leap of faith.  We had our wants and had been looking on the weekends while he was in town for a few weeks.  We did our best to only look at houses while we were in town together but we hit a point where we were really ready to move so I started looking with our realtor during the week nights.  We definitely wanted an older home but everything we looked at made me feel claustrophobic and seemed like too much money for such a small space.  That's when we broadened our searching horizon a few miles and found this house.  It was a single owner and hadn't been updated for many, many, many moons.  For the first time, I didn't feel like the walls were closing in and the idea of buying a house from the original owner just felt right.  Then I walked into the kitchen.  Love at first sight.  I HAD to have this house. 
I would venture to say that even those that barely know me, know that I'm slightly obsessed with the color green.  Always have been.  I like all shades but one shade in particular really revs my engine - avocado green.  Yup, these kitchen cabinets sealed the deal.  In the early 70s, the original homeowners expanded the kitchen and had these cabinets installed.  Pretty dreamy, right?  A HUGE kitchen filled with cabinets in the color of my dreams?  Tell me more.  And yes, that's an avocado green sink surrounded by avocado green counter tops.  They weren't messing around with their green.

Believe it or not, these cabinets have always been a point of contention between the mister and me.  You see, to me, they are perfect.  Not a thing to change.  To a man who was once a trim carpenter, these were basic, outdated cabinets that desperately needed a facelift.  See, we're not perfect!  We bicker and it's mostly about our decor styles!  Ha!  Alas, we did nothing more to the cabinets than remove more shelf paper than one could ever imagine and added new hardware.  We had finally agreed to keep the cabinets, install new countertops, and replace the sink with a stainless number but lo and behold, an unexpected move jumped in and the kitchen remained relatively untouched.
A few years back, we did paint the walls that bright yellow color.  To me, green and yellow just belong together.  We ended up accenting in red and black, adding to our rainbow house.  Nothing wrong with adding color to a home, amiright
I wish I could have seen what the original stove looked like since the vent hood is so killer.  While we don't have the fanciest of stoves, I have always LOVED how easy ceramic cook tops are to clean.  The easy clean up is so desirable to me that I prefer these stoves over others.  Call me crazy.  :)
One of the stranger aspects of our kitchen is the brick corner.  When we moved in, there was a wood-burning Benjamin Franklin stove there, vented through the ceiling.  It was massive but cool.  When inspections went down, we learned that the vent was capped, leaving the stove unusable in that location.  We decided to remove it and make the space more usable for our household.  For us, this space has typically functioned as animal central with feeding areas and storage for pet-related goods.  We had plans (and have actually already started) to build Rio a play kitchen of her own to sit in this space.  Project postponed. 
Sometimes, I (often) get in a fury of reorganizing and cleaning out of nowhere.  The artwork above the dining table happened in one of the fits and was really a happy accident.  I was just placing them on the wall on existing nails to see if I liked the colors and the pieces together.  I took two steps back and absolutely loved the composition and left it like that.  Who says that art must be centered on a wall?
Once a mobile child started scooting across the floor, it was time to find hooks to hang my bag hoard up.  With as many different things as I tend to, I have tons of different bags that shuffle around with me.  Above that lifesaver is one of my earlier online DIYs, a floating vintage matchbook display.  
Our kitchen window above the sink faces west, something that I absolutely love.  Actually, I just love and appreciate a window above any kitchen sink but make it west-facing for sunset watching and I'm in heaven. 
While I was packing up some in the kitchen last night, I mentioned to Brent that this may be the hardest room to pack.  A few days earlier, I had said that same thing about Rio's room.  When I was packing up the workroom, I'm sure I made that same statement.  I knew that once we decided to move, it would be an emotional process but with as quick as everything has happened for this move, it feels like those emotions are intensified.  Moving is tough work physically, mentally, and emotionally.  For sure. 

Man, I'll miss this kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...