Tuesday, August 12, 2014

No Longer a Nursery

So, um, we're moving.  Like in a few weeks.  It's a crazy story that just sort of happened and we're just going with it!  I'll go into more depth soon but know that it's all super positive and exciting!  That short little teaser to introduce another room tour, Rio's Room!

The last time we toured this room, the kid was still cooking and having a child in the house was something we hadn't experienced yet.  Fast forward almost two years later, and we're old pros!  Or something like that.  ;)  Things have changed in her world since those newborn days which, of course, means that her room has evolved some as well.

One of the most popular features of Rio's room are her lockers that we configured to work as a tiny closet for her tiny clothes.  I've had some inquiries as to what we use the lockers for so here we go.  Obviously, they are the framework for the hanging clothes but they also serve as invaluable storage.  Toys that are too old for her, crib sheets, changing pad sheets, hand-me-down books, and other miscellaneous kid goods all live within those lockers.  I've already been dreaming up how they'll function in her new space since she'll actually have a true blue closet of her own!
Once we were done with co-sleeping and the kid started sleeping on her own, we quickly decided that her crib had to move.  It began on the wall that also houses our lone bathroom's plumbing which meant that anything that occurred in the bathroom was easily heard through that wall.  The crib was moved and we've never looked back since.  The hanging swaddling blanket on the window blocks out sunlight during naps and early bed times at home.  It's not the fanciest solution but it sure works!

The book tree has worked well but I don't know that we'll use it in the same form in the future.  What rocked about it was its mobility.  While I get ready in the morning, the kid often hangs out in the crib reading.  All I have to do is move that book tree next to the crib and she then has a stash of books to choose from!  It's easy for books to get lost within it though so I'm hoping to utilize more shelf space for her readers in the future.
We made the area next to the crib a reading/play area which has functioned quite well.  That rocker gets tons of use by us and the kid (I'm still impressed by her ability to climb on it!) all throughout the day which makes me all sorts of happy since it's such a dear family heirloom. 
The trunk functions as a sort of table top while storing the loads of blankets we have.  Next to it is another one of those basic storage shelves that we seem to have amassed a lot of!  I have plans for those in the future as well.  :)  Try as I might to keep her toys well organized within this space, it always seems fairly disheveled to me.  If parenthood has taught me anything, it's to be ok with the chaos, something I truly struggle with.  As much as I am ok with a little disorganization in this space, I can't help but be optimistic in our future plans to make her new space function even better and more organized! 
I still do love our wallpapered wall.  We never hung anything on it but it was a statement all its own.  I have a feeling that the changing table situation won't be around much longer as we're on the cusp of saying good bye to diapers.  After the move, of course.
So much of our house is now in boxes.  In fact, my entire studio is just a shell now.  Artwork is coming off of the walls, closets have been cleaned out, filled boxes are multiplying, but only one little section in Rio's room has been dealt with.  I think this will be the most difficult room to pack up and say good bye to.  As sad as it may be to say adios to this home, I think about how exciting it will be to start fresh in our new abode.  I can't wait to share more of it and its evolution so very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...