Friday, March 27, 2015

A Challenge? OK!

Right around the time I was churning out bags left and right, an old friend of mine contacted me to see if I could make her a customized bag.  Luckily, I was very bag-motivated and immediately set out to work.  She wanted a cross-body bag with a few pockets and at least two fabrics that 'didn't go together'.  I figured I could do that!  I spent time sketching and sending fabric ideas to its recipient until one day, I decided to stop planning it over and over in my head and just start cutting. 
 
I based the shape off of this bag but changed pretty much everything else.  I accidentally bought a heavier interfacing than I normally use but decided to just go with it, making it super sturdy.  It was a material I had never worked with before so it was a learning experience!  I added a zipper to the main closure, took out the snap and the exterior zipper pocket, added an interior zipper pocket (my first!), and changed the strap structure.  Those are just the major changes. 

At one point after I had the bag over halfway constructed, I was not happy with its direction so I stopped, spent a few hours completely taking it apart, and started over.  Time consuming and exhausting but I'm glad I took the extra time to do it right!  I spent a lot of time in my head trying to figure out how to make it work construction-wise, how to make it super strong, and how to make it look nice.  I'm thrilled it worked out how I had envisioned it!
Once it was finished, I couldn't stop staring at it.  I am in love with it.  I'm pretty sure I'll try and replicate another one for myself with a few more tweaks.  I love that this project took me out of my comfort zone and forced me to work with new techniques all on my own.  Yay for learning and growing!  Best of all?  My friend absolutely loves it.  I can't wait to ship it off to her. 
 
Oh, and variegated thread?  My new favorite thing.

1 comment:

  1. And here I was wondering if you could make a bag like this one for me!

    https://poshmark.com/listing/5222231dbb01a8774a037db5

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...