Friday, August 21, 2015

The Laundry Bath Before & After

It's pretty hard to believe but it's been one whole year since we bought a house from an estate sale!  There are days I look around and get flustered at how many things we still have to update/fix/address and I forget about how much we've already accomplished.  We've really done quite a bit in a year!  We're not near finished but we'll get there.  I think it's important to celebrate the small accomplishments so I'm going to share the smallest room in the house - the laundry bathroom!
When we toured through the house for the first time (while the estate sale was in progress!) we were thrilled to find out there were three full baths!  In the seventies, the original homeowners completed an addition of two pantries, a formal dining room, a laundry room/office, and a full bathroom.  And they painted every single surface in the addition a jarring shade of yellow.  Even the flooring and window treatments were yellow.  Now, I do love me some yellow but just not on everything and perhaps more subtle shades of yellow!  Since I actively work from our home office and work room (the formal dining room), we set out to tackle these areas as soon as possible so work wouldn't be disrupted for too long.  
So this bathroom.  It was disgusting.  The house sat vacant for two years before we moved in and I have a sneaking suspicion that it hadn't been cleaned for a few years before that even.  Couple that with all of that yellowness and I didn't even want to step in there.  The first step was super, mega, crazy cleaning.  The second step was painting which doesn't sound like that big of a deal but since it was such a small room, it wasn't the easiest task!  The toilet came out for a while (that was a learning experience!) so we had easier access to the walls.  We kept things simple.  We used the same shade of light blue-grey that we used in Rio's room and the cream color that we decided to use for all of the trim in the house.  The paint change made a HUGE difference!
Next was the flooring.  I didn't hate the original flooring but it had some spots that were in bad shape.  We decided to leave the flooring down and just lay peel & stick tile over the top of it in case we ever decided to try and restore it in the future.  The tiles were bought at Home Depot and were super simple to install and work with.  We had a friend who was once an apartment maintenance man who gave us all sorts of tricks and pointers that helped tremendously.  I LOVE the way the floor turned out in there!  Couple that with the new paint and we had a bathroom with a completely different feel!
 
Believe it or not, we've actually never used that shower in there!  It's obviously seen better days and I imagine that some day we'll replace it but that's waaaaaay down on the priority list.  For now, I plan on covering the upper cabinet doors with some wallpaper scraps my Mimi passed along to me and trying out the shower before another year passes!  ;)  The odd tiny cabinets to the right of the shower are just that - odd and tiny!
Now that we have this small room freshened up, I love it!  It feels like such a different space and we use it all of the time!  In fact, this is our most commonly used guest bathroom as well.  The walls are decorated with random art I've accumulated over the years and the floor showcases one of my favorite flea market finds ever - the dinosaur trash can!  Have I told you all that I'm a little obsessed with hunting for cool, clean trash cans?  True story!  I'm amassing quite the collection!  Ha!
 
Hope you've enjoyed our tiny tour!  Perhaps I'll share the adjoining laundry room next...once I get caught up on laundry and get things dusted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...