Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Drapery Dress

Remember those days where I used to post outfit photos with regularity?  Yeah, me too.  Here's an outfit post for nostalgia's sake and to document that I actually sewed myself something!

To be honest, I haven't been behind the sewing machine much the past few weeks since school has started back up.  Last night, I really wanted to make something that would offer fast gratification and that I could use so I went with a dress...made out of curtains from our bedroom.  Seriously.
 
At Sew-OK, I busted out a few Wilksten dresses and quickly became obsessed.  SUPER simple and very nice to wear.  I can teach in them, clean in them, and dress them up or dress them down.  I spent a good while staring at fabric trying to decide what to use for my next dress when this fabric raised its hand.
 
Funny thing about this fabric is that it was once curtains in our bedroom.  (See the right side of the photo below.) When we moved in, that particular curtain rod was half falling down and the pull didn't work anymore so we removed them pretty quickly after moving in.  In fact, EVERY window in the house was covered with heavy curtains.  We took all of the curtains down except for the two largest rooms.  I figured it was all fabric that I could use at some point!  I completely deconstructed most of the curtains and cleaned all of the fabrics for future use.
So, from start to finish, this probably took two hours and I already love it.  I liked the fabric before but now I love it ten times more off of the wall and on my body.  :)  It's a hair short but it's summer so whatevs.  I added some pockets to it which makes it priceless.  It's not much of a fancy outfit but I did partner it with a green jersey jacket (totally not pictured) and a sunflower necklace that was my mom's when she was a teenager.  Oh, and my Birks because some things never change.

And the photos?  Self timed in the entryway, obviously.  You do what you've gotta do.  (Check out our new front door!  The front porch has been a major project as of late.  I'll share it soon!)  ¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...