Thursday, October 1, 2015

Hello, 36!

A week ago today, I turned thirty-six!  Today we're celebrating Rio's third birthday, but more about that in a future post.  :)
 
I had already decided to take the day off to play around town with the kid when I found out that our International Fashion Show at school was scheduled for the same day!  What a wonderful birthday surprise!  The fashion show is only held once a year and is one of my absolute favorite days of the year.  The majority of our students dress in modern clothing so seeing them in their traditional clothing for a day is a true treat.  The textiles, the colors, the stories, and the pride exuded make it a notable event that I always cherish.

For the past two years, the kid has participated in the fashion show with me but this year, she stole the show!  We were given a vintage kimono a while back that Rio wore and I sported a salwar kameez that I had made while in India ten years ago.  Rio wasn't too keen on leaving the stage after our turn was up so she pretty much remained up there for the rest of the show!  The crowd loved her.  It made her day.  It made my day.
Later that evening, we joined my folks for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and witnessed a stunning sunset that I swear was made just for me, as evidenced below.
Thirty-six.  Doesn't seem possible.  I'm finding smile lines around my eyes and mouth, age spots have been spotted, and my internal alarm clock keeps setting itself earlier and earlier but I'm doing my best to embrace this strange aging process.  My thirty-six years have been filled with adventure, love, sadness, laughter, and so much more.  I will forever celebrate making it another year.
 
Call me crazy, but I love birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...