Friday, October 16, 2015

TMQG Fall Retreat!

Last weekend I took a trip back to my childhood.  At the beginning of the year, I decided to join the Tulsa Modern Quilting Guild.  It's been a good experience and I've certainly learned a lot through my involvement.  When I heard that they would be hosting a fall retreat, I was all about it.  I've attended a few crafting retreats over the past few years and I absolutely love them.  There's always great camaraderie that occurs, I'm always able to bust out several projects, and since becoming a mother, they're always a nice break from my every day norm. 
So what does this have to do with my childhood?  The retreat was held at Camp Egan, the church camp that I spent many summers at growing up!  While I don't subscribe to organized religion as an adult, I look back on my summers spent at that camp as peaceful, trans-formative, positive experiences.  It had been 18 years since I had been there!  So much had changed and so much was the same.  Immediately after I unloaded stuff, I took off to walk around the grounds and process my return there.  It was wonderful taking it all in again. 

After I had reacquainted myself with the camp, I finally got to sewing!  I shared space with my Owl & Drum ladies and sewed all things cats.  I started a large cat pillow but lost steam on that after a while and switched over to my paper pieced cats!  One of these days they'll be in a finished quilt for Rio.  :)
Watching everyone's projects come together was a treat in itself.  I love watching creativity unfold and be executed!
Oh yes, we ate in the cafeteria! Not the cafeteria I grew up eating in but a cafeteria nonetheless!
I was super stoked about our retreat swap - a mug rug swap!  If we wanted to participate, we could make a mug rug which is more or less a tiny quilt.  We were asked to also include a covered drink holder of some sort as well.  I didn't know if I'd participate or not but I ended up finding a spare moment to whip one up!  I just grabbed some scraps and used heat-resistant batting on the inside for the first time.  I'm considering mine a double-mug-rug/trivet/pot holder.  Mini quilts are fun!  Below is mine in action, taken by its recipient.
We exchanged mug rugs through some Dirty Santa playing and I ended up with quite the work of art! 
 
Unfortunately, I was double booked that weekend so I was only able to stay at the retreat for one night before needing to head back into town for a wedding of one of my favorite crafty ladies!
Once I got back home, I quickly got dudded up, grabbed my hunky husband, and headed to Cains for some nuptials!  We actually ended up getting a room and had a date with our own town.  It was fantastic and much needed. 
This weekend I have absolutely nothing planned and I'm soooooo looking forward to it!  The past few weeks have been whirlwinds so I'm ready for a little break.  ¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...