Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Halloween Unicorn!

For the past month when asked what she wanted to be for Halloween, Rio had one answer - a unicorn.  I had to figure out a way to make it happen.  It's not the most uncommon of costumes but I had to make it a bit different from the rest of the crowd, because that's how I roll.  A week before the holiday, I started cutting, sewing, and sticking my tongue out just right to finish on time.  It paid off because the kid loved it and it even won a costume contest prize!
During the construction of this costume, I almost scrapped it more times than I care to admit.  In the end though, I ended up loving it and am super proud of it!  If I can toot my own horn for a moment, it's really well made, easy to wear, and should last for quite some time!  All in all though, it's basically just a hoodie without the jacket.  And with a horn.  :)
 
She wanted to be a pink unicorn so I pulled out some light green poly fabric with a sweet pink design and built it off of that.  I based the hood shape off of a jacket pattern I made for Rio when she was 6 months old.  I cut some gauze-y fabric strips for the hair which have already started to fray wonderfully - it's unicorn hair, ya know!  The only thing I bought for this costume was the felt for the horn.  Rio picked out that color and while I was skeptical at the time, I think it looks perfect with it!  I hand sewed that on and made it super duper secure.  The ears are probably a bit large but really, who knows what unicorn ears really look like anyway?  I positioned some pipe cleaners inside of them to give them a little structure and hand sewed them on.  
It is double interfaced - on the exterior fabric and the lining - to give it good shape and to keep her little head warm!  I finished it up by making a casing for a drawstring and quickly making a little tail to pin to her jacket!
I made it just a smidge too large but that means she'll be able to play with it for quite some time or someone else can use it to transform into a unicorn!  We partnered it with a pair of some pink striped pjs and a cute little jacket she loves to wear that just happened to match everything!  Score!

A few days prior to Halloween, we visited a nearby Community Center for a carnival they host.  We knew nothing about a costume contest but arrived right before it kicked off.  We happened to be right by the stage when they called the kids up so Rio joined them.  Even with her hood halfway off at that point, she won the 'Funnest Costume' award!  Whatever 'funnest' means.  ;)  She won a gigantic cookie which made her night.  
On Halloween night, Rio and I strolled around the block for a short while to do a little trick or treating.  It's amazing what a difference a year makes in kid years!  She totally got Halloween this year which made it that much more spectacular for me.
I missed dressing up last year so I made a point to at least throw something on to take Rio out!  I did the classic 'look in the closet and see what I had' costume and ended up with a three minute Mrs. Roper....when I then realized that I was just myself in the future.  So that's what I went as - myself in 50 years!  Ha!  Wearing those sunglasses at night without my prescription was pretty challenging and entertaining!
Halloween is my all time favorite and once a year always seems so far away!  I'm already scheming for next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...