Friday, April 29, 2016

A Surprising Quilt

It continues, my nonstop quilting binge!  The latest finish was motivated and guided by challenges put forth by our quilting guild.
We did a low-volume 5x5 charm swap at our latest meeting so everyone went home with 44 different charms.  We were encouraged to use these with half-square-triangles (HST), which is a black magic that I am very new to but am very much in love with.  When I went to my last Crafty Weekender, I decided to take advantage of the expertise of my fellow makers who were there and play around with HST.  That was a good decision!  Before I had left for the retreat, I grabbed certain fabrics that I thought may be fun to play around with, including these floral fabrics that reminded me of flour sack fabrics.
HSTs are a bit monotonous to make but satisfying at the same time.  There is a lot of precision cutting and sewing, which I am always working to improve, so this was great for skill building.  I had some great cheerleaders on the sidelines as well, so that's always helpful.  :)  I grouped the truer low volume squares with the blue-hued florals and I grouped the low volumes that featured black with the red florals, which I placed on the edges of my HST square.  I love the effect it created!  Once I was done with the main square, I was done.  I honestly didn't think that I would come back to work on it any further for quite some time but I was wrong!
 
Once I returned home, I pulled everything out to show Brent what I had worked on that weekend.  I really wasn't hugely feeling this piece.  I didn't know what to do next and I wasn't hugely inspired.  That was until I sat and stared at my fabric stash and pulled out this puppy.  I don't remember if it came from an estate sale or the fabric warehouse but there was a ton of it and it complimented the focal piece perfectly.  One problem.  There was yellow bias tape tightly sewn to it all over.  I spent a few nights on the couch seam ripping that stuff off of the majority of the fabric.  What a difference that made!  Once that was done, I was ready to put on the borders!
I still felt like it wasn't quite complete so I decided to do some slashing.  Since one part of the challenge was to play with low volume, I decided to literally flip the red fabric in spots and use the backside of it.  It's the low volume version of that fabric.  I couldn't be happier with the effect and it gave it the modern kick that it needed.
 
It's backed with a simple and soft vintage sheet that compliments the front perfectly and is bound in a bold red.  I did some tight, straight-line quilting that took forever but was totally worth it.  I'm really thrilled with how the most traditional quilt I've ever made turned out, especially since I didn't see myself liking it as much as I do.  That was a great surprise.  This quilt does not have a home yet and will be available in my shop soon!
 Now onto the next one!  Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...