Friday, July 22, 2016

A Quilt Made With Mustard

No joke, I have about ten quilts queued up to share with you.  I've been busy!  My quilt motivation has been overwhelming and I've just been going with it.  I figure I'm just ahead of the game for holiday stock!  Though, if you see any pieces that you love, the majority of these quilts could very easily be yours.  :)


Now, onto quilt babble!  I started this one by playing around with half square triangles at the last Crafty Weekender I attended.  The mustard-y color is leftover fabric from last year's Alliday dress which I loooooove.  This quilt was one I worked on in between several other projects and it just kept getting shoved to the back burner.  I think technically I nailed it, but ascetically I wish I had done a few things differently.  I think a more subtle background fabric would have made the triangles pop more and would have made me love the white stripes more.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that background fabric (it's an old Vera Neuman sheet!) but I wonder how the effects would have been different with a different fabric.  Guess I'll just have to make another version some day!  ;)
I quilted this one TIGHT.  Most of it was done in vertical straight lines with a beautiful silky green thread except for the off-center section which I did in angled straight lines with white thread.  The quilting took forever but it's what made me end up ultimately loving this piece. 
It really washed up beautifully and is the perfect size for a lap quilt or baby blanket.  That crinkle effect is A+.  That mustard fabric and background (sheet) fabric are beyond soft. 
I went back and forth about binding it and ultimately decided upon throwing in one more color/fabric to pull out the subtle turquoise that is hidden throughout the quilt.  Any worries I had about that were quickly gone once I started stitching that puppy on.  I love it!
The back used up a few more scraps and some mega soft woven fabric I had on hand.  Did I mention that this quilt is super soft?  ;)  
Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...