Monday, November 7, 2016

A Rainbow Leaf Beetle, a Leaf, and Lowell

Cue broken record:  HALLOWEEN IS MY FAVORITE!!!  I seriously wish it was at least a week-long holiday.  Having a kid hasn't changed my view of Halloween but it has upped my costume game!
About a month before Halloween, we started asking Rio what she would like to dress up as.  A bat, a spider, and a bug floated around until one day, she said she wanted to be a rainbow monster bug.  We started talking to our good friend Google about rainbow bugs when the Rainbow Leaf Beetle appeared.  Rio immediately got excited, exclaiming that that's what she wanted to be.  We did a little sketching and day-dreaming about the possibilities for her costume.
I was SO excited about what we could create but a little stumped on how to make it all happen.  I spent a few nights just playing around with ideas but couldn't get any traction.  Then one day, Rio and I went to Joann's spent a good amount of time going up and down the aisles until she saw this rainbow fabric.  She was thrilled!  She carried the whole bolt through the store and helped me with some other decisions about her costume.  After that day, the whole thing came together in a snap.
Fun fact, the blue felt legs and antennas were made out of the same fabric as her first Halloween costume - Maggie Simpson!
It was a true collaboration.  I sewed, she dreamed, and together we learned about the endangered beetle.  We finished the costume two days before Halloween and could barely wait for the big day.  Thankfully, Tulsa had a few events prior to the holiday that we were able to attend to get some bug practice in!  I decided last minute that the Leaf Beetle definitely needed a leaf to rest upon so I pulled out green clothes (not a difficult challenge in my closet), made some leaf gloves, and a leaf headband to wear.  We were a match made in nature!  ;) 
 
We didn't win any prizes but we sure did have fun!  My school had a costume contest so I took her along with me for that event and that evening, we did some trick or treating in the hood with my best friend and her two little girls.

For the evening walk, I decided to change up my costume and be Lowell Mather from Wings.  I still can't help but laugh at it!  Wings was one of my all time favorite shows!  I've actually fashioned another Halloween outfit thanks to Wings.  I reference that show ALL of the time.  I'm sure Wings will provide more costume ideas in the future!  Ha!
 
Until next year, goblins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...