I brought my scrap bin to work and explained the two pattern pieces to Rio the best that I could. One piece must be cut on the fold, which was a new concept for her. She went through the scraps and found pieces that would fit the fold piece and found other pieces that would fit the belly piece, all by herself! That evening when we returned home, she matched which body and belly fabrics she would like to go together. We talked a bit about contrast and going bold while she did this. I think she aced it. Then I sewed the bodies of one bird so she could understand how it would go together. Then the power went out! Ha! I gave her a quick lesson in bird stuffing and she finished one up that afternoon. That evening, after she had gone to bed, the power came back on (yay!) and I finished sewing up the bodies of the other birds.
The next day, we brought all of the bird business back up to work and she stuffed birds all day long! I can say with confidence that she is a much better stuffer than I will ever be! I sewed up the ends of them that evening, and then she had her gifts ready to distribute!