Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A Mother's Day for the Books

This past weekend, I celebrated my fifth Mother's Day as a mother!  As surreal as that sounds, I'm not sure it could feel any more natural than it does.  I struggle with parenthood, as I'm sure all parents do, but I enjoy and value it more than I could ever knew possible.  This past weekend, I had a great, low key Mother's Day with my people.  Since I've been slacking in the blogging department, I thought this would be a good opportunity to get back into the game and archive a weekend I want to remember. 


 
My relaxation began on Saturday.  I headed out solo for some flea market hunting and running around to some of my favorite local shops.  At one point, I made it out south for an estate sale that looked...interesting.  Well, it was insanely interesting.  Insanely!  This homeowner had over 1,500 DOLLS in their home.  Since I went on the last day, I snagged Rio a discounted early 80s Cabbage Patch Doll in the box who has now become her best friend.  I certainly relived my childhood in that house!

Also, while I was out that day, I visited the graves of my Granny and Great Granny.  I have tried to visit them a few times before but hadn't been able to locate where they are resting.  This time, I called the cemetery and asked.  Since they were in an odd spot, the man working came out to pick me up and took me to them.  Yes, I got into a stranger's car in a cemetery.  Living on the edge!  Finally, we found them and I was able to spend a good amount of time quietly reflecting upon much.  I needed it dearly.  I don't think I realized how much I did need it until I was there.

After that, I came home and spent the rest of my day in the hammock finishing up a book while watching Brent work on our vegetable garden, listening to Rio play with 'Meryl', and having Mondo visit periodically.  Every flower and leaf Rio came across was a gift to me.  It was perfect.
On Sunday, I started off the day with a run.  Yup, I'm still at it!  That morning I upped my usual distance AND ran my fastest pace yet!  My body is changing in ways that I hadn't foreseen happening and my spirit feels much better.  I've also been hitting a yoga class at least once a week.  Finally giving myself the self-care I've been lacking.  
Following my run, we did some major house deep cleaning.  I know that doesn't sound like much fun to many on Mother's Day but it was a treat to me!  I love when we all clean together.   :)  We quickly got cleaned up and headed to my Mimi's apartment for lunch with all of my dad's side of the family. 
While there, Rio joined me for my Me Made May photo of the day.  You may remember me talking about MMM last year.  It provided a grand shift in my mindset and was the catalyst for many things for me in regards to clothing that I decided to do it again this year!  Right now, I'm posting them daily on my instagram, if you want to follow along.
After family time, we spent the rest of the day in the backyard yet again.  I had a huge bag of gross vintage linens that have been begging to be cleaned.  This seemed to be the ideal day to do so!  We got the clotheslines back in order and got to soaking and hanging.  Rio was a great help with this.  We also gave Mondo his first bath of the season.  That's always a hilarious event!  Vera got extended outside time and Brent finished up the first wave of the veggie garden!  It'll be our first official garden in this house!  We miss our garden from the old house, often.
To top it all off, I got time to sew!  I'm going to be teaching an improv bag making class on June 10th (!!) so I've been working on some sample bags in the meantime!  I'm incredibly excited about this class and am excited to share some of my tips and tricks. 
All in all, a pretty good Mother's Day weekend.  I'm thankful for my own mother and my group of lady friends who are all amazing moms.  They help me navigate and manage parenthood more than they know.  I feel pretty damn lucky. 

Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...