Wednesday, June 14, 2017

A Healing Quilt

When I make a quilt, I feel like it is infused with whatever emotion I'm overflowing with during its creation.  There are times that I make because it's the only way I know how to deal with my emotions.  There are other times that I make because it's the only way I know how to communicate.  You've probably heard of those quizzes or books about finding your 'love language', I'm sure.  It didn't take much for me to figure out that my love language is making gifts.  It's hard for me to talk about my feelings but if my emotional energy is somehow included in what I make, I feel like that is being communicated to the recipient.

All of that to say, I began this quilt in an attempt to process some emotions and while it was being made, I thought solely of a dear friend and her family.  When I began this quilt, I didn't know how it would end up or where it would live.  Shortly after it began to grow though, I knew exactly who it belonged to.  With any quilt I make, I wish that it ultimately brings warmth and comfort.  I hope this one somehow does even more than that.  It may just look like a blanket, but it is filled with much, much more than just fabric and stitches.
When I started this quilt, I began with a few small scraps in the middle.  The blue and turquoise area was its origin and, to me, represents the great peace we all have within ourselves.  From there grew a bird.  As I work, I lay my growing quilt out on the floor.  I stand in one spot and spend entirely too much time staring at it, trying to decide my next move.  At one point while this quilt was on the floor, I walked to the other side of the room to do something and when I turned around, I saw another bird from the other direction.  Both proud, regal, angelic birds.  It was actually a moment that made me gasp. 
I used a plethora of fabrics from all over the world, mixed in with some estate sale finds.  Every fabric choice was intentional and is filled with meaning.  With piecing, I found myself backed into a corner a few times.  Because of that, I finally attempted y-seams and found moderate success.  It's obviously a strange size and shape, which I find myself doing more and more.  It makes sense to me. 
I quilted every little corner of this quilt, which you can see on the back.  Every little piece received quilting in a coordinating color.  Yes, it took quite some time, but it's what this work needed. 
I actually finished this one a few months ago but just recently delivered it.  It's also taken me some time to process how to talk about this quilt.  I'm proud of it but mostly, I just hope that it provides love for those intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...