Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Archer's Quilt

Being asked to make someone a custom quilt is, by far, one of the greatest compliments I receive in my creative world.  Recently, I was contacted to do just that and it made my month!

In the past, the commissioned quilts I have worked on have varied widely.  Some have simply told me what colors they prefer and what size they want it to end up being.  Others have told me to go wild and do what I will!  With this quilt, I was given some specific fabrics to work with and a twin size goal.  The recipient would be for a darling three-year-old named Archer.  Lucky kid!  His mom has great style so I knew it would be a fun project!
We met in 'my lair' and were able to pull supplemental fabrics to use, in addition to discussing a layout.  The focal fabric is from Gingiber and features these perfectly hand drawn woodland creatures.  I LOVE Gingiber's work (I even have one of her prints hanging in one of our bathrooms!), so working around her creations was very pleasing.  We decided to 'log cabin' around each panel in a random mix of fabrics that we pulled.  Doing a random pull in a predetermined pattern allowed me to 'assembly line' sew, which is a topic I'll soon be speaking about at the OKC Modern Quilt Guild!  Most of the time when I make a quilt, I improv piece so having a plan on this one was a different experience for me!  It really made it move along rather quickly and ended up making a beautiful quilt! 
We decided to not quilt the animal panels which gave them a more full effect once the quilt was washed.  Where I did quilt, I just did straight, grid lines.  I even marked some of them before quilting, which I never do!  I made the binding from a vintage, plaid sheet that I ADORE.  I absolutely love the way it looks as a binding!  The backing came from Owl & Drum and matches the front animals perfectly!
As a way to say thank you, I made a matching pillow cover to accompany the quilt!  I chose one of the fox panels to match the fox on the backing.  That little guy makes me smile.  :)
 The icing on the cake was getting to deliver the quilt and seeing it in its new home!  Heart swell!
Happy napping, Archer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...