Tuesday, June 20, 2017

West Coast Jaunting

I took a little vacation!  This past weekend, I boarded a plane for the first time in six years and headed to Los Angeles to visit my little sister and her mister.  It was a very short-lived trip, but much needed and wonderful all around.  While it's all still fresh on my mind, I wanted to recap the adventure.
One of the biggest reasons why I hadn't been out to visit her in so long is that I'd redeveloped a fear of flying since I had a child.  Through exercise and reflection, I felt like I was ready to get back in the air...and I did!  I almost cried from joy, relief, and pride on my first flight for getting back on a plane.  I, surprisingly, had missed it!

As you can see, I arrived in LA late Friday night after a delayed flight.  My sister's man, a quite talented man of mallets, was playing a show that night (and each night after), so I took an uber from the airport to meet them at the venue only to arrive after the show had ended.  We headed to another watering hole and grabbed some veggie tacos on the way.  Pool was played, stories were told, and drinks were had.

The following day started a little earlier than I think any of us had intended.  My sister had arranged a get-together at their place so I could meet many I'd heard about and vice versa.  They are a vegan household (and I've found myself living a vegetarian life as of late) so our meal was all animal free!  She slaved away for hours to create a vegan lasagna - delicious! - and a vegan blueberry/lime cheesecake!  I've learned much from my sister in regards to nutrition and ethical food choices.  Good stuff.
 
People came and went throughout the afternoon while we ate and shot the shit.  One special guest was my cousin who I haven't seen in a few years!  It was a tremendous treat to see her.
Without missing a beat after the gathering, Afton and I headed to a party with some of her choir friends.  I had used up most of my socializing energy for the day but did enjoy the ambiance and mild weather with friendly folks.  Despite being drooling tired, we moved along to our last stop of the night.  We found ourselves at a bar called The Barkley, which was a step back in time.  We watched Nick play alongside a drag performer, Bobbi DeCarlo, singing some old tunes and then were treated to some burlesque performances.  As many people as I've known to do burlesque, I've actually never seen a show in person!  It was quite entertaining.
That night, I slept like a king.

On Sunday, we took things *a little* easier.  I got in some bonding time with the kitties and we did some face timing with the pops for Father's Day.
 Speaking of kitties, look at this six-year difference.  
We had lunch at what one may call a 'hipster' restaurant.  I finally found a vegetarian BLT sandwich!  That's the one flavor combination I've really been missing.  We ran some errands, including visiting the most beautiful cemetery I've ever seen, and then hit my favorite part of the day, the city pool.  The pool officially made it feel like a vacation!  It was rejuvenating, even with a hundred kids swimming into you repeatedly.
I paparazzi-ed my sister and caught this photo that I love.  Her cute complex, her old couch, and her beautiful self.  The couch cracks me up.
That night, my last night there, we headed to the beach for one more show of Nick's.  I shared the long drive with the vibes.  I wasn't expecting to have as much fun that night as I did.  It was the perfect way to end the trip. 
For the past several months, Afton and I have been running together virtually.  On Monday morning, we finally got to run together in person!  I wish we'd been able to squeeze in a few more of those but am glad we at least did one!  It was another highlight for me.
My sister's birthday is coming up in a few days, so of course I had to come bearing gifts.  I made a few pillow covers for their new couch (and my bed) from some fabric I recently acquired.  I love the way they turned out!
When my sister was in town last year, she fawned over my juicer that I inherited from my Granny.  The day after I booked my tickets to come out, I went out and bought an identical juicer that I had recently seen.  It was quickly put to use.  
I wish I'd been able to stay longer but am SO glad that I was able to make it out at all!  It's always good for my spirit to see my sister and this time, it was extra special to see her in her world. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...