Friday, January 21, 2011

Project Restyle: Here Kitty Kitty

I'm sure some of you have stumbled upon this blog in its early stages and are thinking that this isn't much of a blog at all! Relax, I'm working on getting some posts published before I 'officially' announce the switch over and while I wait on my graphic work :) If you are here before all of the bells and whistles are done though, Welcome! Please go ahead and bookmark, subscribe, do whatever you need to do to ensure you come back, because I promise, it will be worth your time :) If you'd like to see what this blog is evolving from, you can read my old blog here!

And now on to my first Project Restyle! I was reluctant to make jewelry for my first restyle since that's my typical gig but I couldn't resist when this one popped into my head!


My beloved cats haven't worn collars in quite a few years as they are solely indoors and don't really need the added kitty bling. I hung onto one of my fuzzbucket's first collars because for one, I LOVED the design and for two, it reminded me of when I adopted her. I knew one day I would figure something out to do with it!


So easy and so worth the time! I cut off the ends of the collar, saving the clasp for an unknown future project and stretched it out straight.


Since it is a woven material, the ends immediately started to fray so I added a line of gel superglue to each end to ensure it stays together!


I pulled out some Flea Market found chain and metal arrowhead which totaled about $1.50.

I got a bit out of order here :) Before I tended to the ends of the collar with glue, I put in three grommets - one at each end and one smack-dab in the middle of the collar to hang the arrowhead from.

Side note: I bought my grommet maker at a local craft store here and LOVE it. The grommets were a gift from above. I came across this box of 10 or so different colors of grommets at a half-price estate sale, 100 each color for FIFTY CENTS a package. I spent about $4 or $5 bucks on this gem! There are some of the most random colors in there, too!


After grommetting away, I did a bit of linkage and VOILA, a brand new necklace for me! Both strands drop at about the same length and wear wonderfully. I am SO thrilled that this came together so well!



Odd? Perhaps, but that's just how I like it :)


Do you save your animals' collars? Or tags? What do you do with them?? I've saved all of their tags for years now and would like to figure out something to do with those!

1 comment:

  1. My purely-indoor kitties don't wear collars either. They would SO not be cool with the idea of having something around their neck since they've never gotten used to it. I love this project and the fact that you reused something meaningful to you! The end result is nothing short of fab.

    Also, I am digging this new blog! And the etsy shop looks fantastic too. The banner and the name are so fun. Work it, girlie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...