Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Saturday to Remember

Yesterday was fantastic.  Non-stop awesome.

It began bright and shinin' early when the mister, mi madre, m'lady April and her mister dressed in our finest running duds and ran our first 5K together!  Ok, so April's done a few before but for the rest, it was our first! Mi padre and a dear friend of mine in town from Chicago hung out, took pictures cheered us on and held out keys for us :)
I have NEVER been an athletic person.  Not even in the slightest.  I started lightly running several years back and then when we acquired the beast, I picked it up with a bit more regularity and confidence.  Running a 5K was on my to do list last year but I just never did it so I signed up for the first big on here in Tulsa this year!

I'm not quite at the point yet where I can run straight through but I'm close!  I had a goal of completing in 45 minutes but surprised myself when I did it in 37!  It was such a wonderful way to start the day and such a positive, uplifting experience shared with some people that are pretty darn special to me :)
I'm not ashamed to say that I am beyond proud of myself, my family and friends that did this with me!  Here's to the next one!
After the racing morning, we rushed home, cleaned up, power napped and headed over to March Radness aka a very intense beer pong tournament in the middle of the day.  I opted out of playing but the mister suited up in a partial gorilla costume AGAIN and was the other half of team King Pong.
My Chicagoan import was also there to help me cheer on the boys and to gasp at the oh-so-close moments.
King Pong made it to the finals with literally $300 on the line.  I was sweating bullets.  Luckily, the costumes were aplenty and were incredibly entertaining so that helped the ol nerves ;)  I can't decide if my abs hurt today from running or from laughing at the tourney.
Unfortunately, King Pong didn't win in the end but they sure gave it their hairy all!
And the day didn't stop there.  We rushed home, put up our feet for about 30 minutes and loaded up AGAIN to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday at a nautical themed party, of course!  There were some pretty stellar costumes at this shindig, as well.
The mister and I were quite delirious with exhaustion by that point so our attendance was fairly short lived. 
It was one of the most enjoyable busy days I've had in a long time.  I slept like a baby last night and today, I'm reveling in lounging in my pajamas reliving yesterday over and over again in my head :)

How was YOUR weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first big run! That's always been a fun event!

    Beer pong? Now that's a new one on me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an awesome day for sure and will give me good squigglies for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...